CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger III

Old 07-10-2018, 06:16 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Vacuum table design

It doesn't make sense to me to pull the vacuum thru the MDF. It seems like a far better idea to section the table off, cut grooves and add a vacuum port to each section with gate valves to close off those that aren't being used. Is there a reason that this isn't done?
Indexing Lathe
T-Slot Table

V-Carve Pro
Old 07-10-2018, 06:22 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

might not make sense but i have been doing it for years !

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 07-10-2018, 07:06 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Options...
When you say: "It doesn't make sense to me to pull the vacuum thru the MDF."

Vacuum, especially general purpose vac systems that use an MDF spoilboard are one of the least understood items associated with CNC router tables. You are in the majority. That said, you don't have to understand it to use it.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 07-10-2018, 07:23 PM
CAMaster Owner

While I hope that I too may one day have an income from this, right now it's just for personal use and I want to do all that I can to keep monthly expenses down. It just seems like it would be far more efficient to apply vacuum directly to the workpiece rather than thru the MDF and likely require a smaller vacuum as well.
Indexing Lathe
T-Slot Table

V-Carve Pro
Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 PM
CAMaster Owner

I think Jim Becker has recently built something along the lines (possibly) of what you are searching for. If you will look him or his recent posts up, you will see with lots of details and pictures provided. As for vacuum experience, I have none. Our first arrives next week.
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0

On order:
Cobra Elite 5 x 10 ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

"You never learn anything by doing it right."
If that were true, I would be one of the most intelligent people you would ever meet.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:40 PM
CAMaster Owner

Using Zones on larger tables to optimize vacuum isn't uncommon, but the lightweight MDF spoilboard still sorta needs to hang around if you don't want to destroy your vacuum table. It's a sacrificial element.

But for doing smaller pieces, what Ron mentions is something to consider...fixtures designed for the workpiece. Some of them are custom to a specific workpiece and others are a mini version of the larger vacuum table where you can move and change the gasket setup to suit the job at hand. But in general, I don't believe you'd want to be making through cuts with that kind of setup for obvious reasons. For "cutout"s, you'll want an onion skin to preserve the fixture, for example. Etc.

You can set things up for however it works best for you and that often means having multiple ways, depending on the work you're doing in the present.

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 07-10-2018, 09:42 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks I'll do that.
Indexing Lathe
T-Slot Table

V-Carve Pro
Old 07-11-2018, 07:08 AM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
It doesn't make sense to me to pull the vacuum thru the MDF. It seems like a far better idea to section the table off, cut grooves and add a vacuum port to each section with gate valves to close off those that aren't being used. Is there a reason that this isn't done?

It is done, all the time.
There are many different types of vacuum systems, and different types of pumps used with the different systems.

A sealed system like you are describing usually uses a high vacuum low CFM pump, while pulling through the spoilboard requires very high CFM pumps.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 07-15-2018, 09:30 AM
CAMaster Owner

I didn't understand why the vacuum was made to pull through a sheet of mdf either. It seems crazy...... but it works well.

The plenum is sectioned and gated almost exactly like you said so why isn't the spoilboard sectioned? Right?

The answer I came up with is that it doesn't have to be. The vacuum is strong enough to hold down through the mdf without it being sectioned. That way you have a flat smooth easy to machine sealing surface for the material you are holding down.

If there are some gaps it won't matter as much because the mdf diffuses the vacuum. So basically you have a large flat vac area that doesn't have to be sealed off very well, it can have some leaks and still work well.

If there were actual holes for the vacuum to work through. Debris would get in there and any leaks would severely effect your hold down strength.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve 9, Mozaik
Old 07-16-2018, 01:13 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real JP View Post
I didn't understand why the vacuum was made to pull through a sheet of mdf either. It seems crazy...... but it works well.

The plenum is sectioned and gated almost exactly like you said so why isn't the spoilboard sectioned? Right?

The answer I came up with is that it doesn't have to be. The vacuum is strong enough to hold down through the mdf without it being sectioned. That way you have a flat smooth easy to machine sealing surface for the material you are holding down.

If there are some gaps it won't matter as much because the mdf diffuses the vacuum. So basically you have a large flat vac area that doesn't have to be sealed off very well, it can have some leaks and still work well.

If there were actual holes for the vacuum to work through. Debris would get in there and any leaks would severely effect your hold down strength.
While I understand that it works I just don't like the idea of paying for the electricity that it takes to pull a vacuum thru mdf if there is a cheaper way to do it. I have a hvac vacuum pump and a larger freon recovery vac that I want to try first for smaller parts. I'm far from the first to try this and if it works for them why not this one too.
Indexing Lathe
T-Slot Table

V-Carve Pro

Last edited by Options; 07-16-2018 at 01:39 AM. Reason: New info