CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 12:34 PM
CAMhead Guest

Default Soft Limit Exceeded [Z+]

I have been cutting out many of the pictured fish for a project.
I have a Stinger III with the Hurricane vacuum clamping. I have had my machine for about 5 months.

I have been cutting the fish out on 1" old barn boards that are quite warped, so I have been screwing a board to a 3/4" piece of plywood so it doesn't shift while cutting. I set the file up to cut 3 per board, and zeroing my bit on the top of the material.

I have run the files perfectly 3 times getting 9 fish looking great, but after setting up the 4th time with the same exact bit, and the same exact boards that I used before; after touching the top I am getting the "Error - Soft Limit Exceeded [Z+]".

I have searched the forums for an answer but all the people with this similar questions seem to be getting this error the first time they run a file. I can't seem to figure out what is different about what Iíve done this particular time from what I have done with the previous fish.

Thank you,
Jozette
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2248.jpg (97.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Camaster Owner

What software are you using , Vectric ?

Stinger I
Performance Pkg
Slotted table
WINCNC
Aspire 8.505
Porter Cable 2.25
CAMaster Stand
KRS USB Keypad

I've got to many clamps , and sometimes they are not enough
Old 02-09-2016, 12:58 PM
CAMhead Guest

Vcarve Pro
Vcarve Pro
Old 02-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Camaster Owner

Check your material setup in the toolpath toolbar , the home start position maybe too high above your work piece , change the home start position of Z to a smaller value , see picture of example below

Stinger I
Performance Pkg
Slotted table
WINCNC
Aspire 8.505
Porter Cable 2.25
CAMaster Stand
KRS USB Keypad

I've got to many clamps , and sometimes they are not enough
Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 PM
CAMhead Guest

Ok, but may I ask why must it be a similar value?
1. Do I want my home position to be almost the same height of the material?
2. Should I change this on every project?

Kind of a different question -
(Just some background) Iíve set up all my .tap files into specific project folders with all the necessary .tap files along with a pdf explaining the original board dimensions, whether Iím zeroing from the top of the material or the spoil board, the order to cut the files in, the bit used for each file, ect. Iím doing it this way so that my father would be able to get the wood set up and start the machine for me when Iím not at the shop, also so if some time goes by without cutting said project I wonít have to open up Vcarve to remind myself of all those specific details.

So that has been working out just fine, but more specifically with this fish I have tried something new so bear with my train of thought here for a moment. Ė I set up the Vcarve File for the fish only including the 1Ē board as if I was putting them directly on the spoil board not the plywood. As I mentioned before 1Ē boards I have been using on this group of fish are warped, and they required to be screwed down. Because I am zeroing z from the top of the material I didnít think adding the plywood underneath would change anything, and it would still cut down the same amount Ė which it did, and worked fine on the other fish. So all this brings me to my last questions:
- Is there a way to set my home/ start position to accommodate the same file - whether the board is directly on the spoil board, and also maybe needing to be screwed down to an added piece of plywood (like I have done)?
- Would I need two different files; one for if it is being screwed down to ply, and one for if itís being sucked down directly to the spoil board?
- Do I have to include the Plywood in my programing Ė adding the plywood height to the material height making my final programmed material height?

Sorry for the long read, Jozette
Vcarve Pro
Old 02-09-2016, 02:48 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Jozette...
My guess is that the last piece of material was just a little thicker than those before it. That increase, plus the safe Z height would cause the High boundary error.

Simply stated, the top height of the material, plus the safe (or Home) Z position are higher than the machine can physically move. You will need to do one of the following:

Lower the safe (or Home) Z height (maybe both)
Push the bit slightly further into the collet
Reduce the thickness of the spoil material under your blank

Then rezero all and you should be good to go.

Note: If you are simply cutting profiles, there is no need to rezero with each change of blanks, if it cut thru one, it should cut thru them all.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 04-13-2018, 05:41 PM
CAMaster Owner

Just to add to this thread. I will get this error when I select Zero XY and then select Zero Z during setup for a cut. I was following something on Youtube. If I only select Zero XY everything is good.

FYI I am still self learning but the above did affect the error you were getting.

Stinger I SR-23
1.7KW (2.27HP) Spindle
Performance Package Plus
FTC Enabled
VCarve Pro 9.0
www.instagram.com/jwhdesignco