CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 04-12-2018, 10:43 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Butterfly joints

Here is something we do using the CNC, cutting out these joints and then we insert home- made butterfly or bowtie biscuit, similar in a way to the #20 biscuits we use to edge glue flat sheet pieces, has anyone seen something commercially made similar to this? I'm thinking making the little pieces of wood to fit these slots takes a lot of time and wear and tear on the machine that could be avoided if like #10 and #20 biscuit -s we could buy a box of 1,000 or 5,000 commercially made ones cheap.

For scale, those butterfly keys are about an inch and a half long, or thereabouts.

http://camheads.org/attachment.php?a...1&d=1523587158
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4214.jpg (83.6 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by Wolff; 04-12-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:51 AM
Camaster Owner

http://www.csaw.com/lamello/p-system/
Old 04-13-2018, 09:27 AM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks Pete, that's not quite what I had in mind, we are doing oddball things here, I'll post a couple more photos later today. Basically what these are like is HVAC ductwork, with all the bends, angles, takeoffs and branches one might find in such a system, but ours are all made of wood to convey wind for pipe organs. So we came up with these bowtie keys at the joints that get glued together for bends and branches. I see that bowtie or butterfly splines are what they are called, I guess our guru replicated the concept and size to our needs and came up with making the actual keys on the CNC with 1/8" plywood.
We cut the 45 degree angles on all the MDF sheets for the wind line components and the pieces that are cut out have veneer left at the joints so that they can be simply folded over with glue into 4 sided box shapes.
We used to use lock miter joints and also splines, but this new method is better and faster.

What I'm trying to locate is a commercial source for these keys themselves, in a similar size that we make, like about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" long, 1/8" thick or a little more, so that we could just buy like a box of 1,000 or 5,000 of those the way we buy the #10 and #20 biscuits, and then modify our drawing as needed to cut the keyways for those specific keys.

So far I have not found any commercial bulk source for something like this, and only reference to and instructions for making your own for decorative accents on furniture and the like.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:30 AM
CAMhead Guest

A lot of people on this site could make them to your liking... Just ask "Who want to make 1,000's?"
Old 04-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Cobra Owner

I'm not interested in working with plywood, but if you post here what you are willing to pay for these, I bet you might get some takers. A win for you and a nice ongoing job for someone who wants the work.
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 04-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Camaster Owner

That sounds like a job for a laser cutter. At that size they seem pretty small for a cnc to mass produce. FWIW we have a laser cutter and cut 1/8 ply all the time. If you want to talk more you can send me an email. d.wolbeck@hotmail.com. Thanks

SR-44
Performance Package
3.25 HP router
T-slot table
Vcarve software
Old 04-15-2018, 11:16 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolbeck View Post
That sounds like a job for a laser cutter. At that size they seem pretty small for a cnc to mass produce. FWIW we have a laser cutter and cut 1/8 ply all the time. If you want to talk more you can send me an email. d.wolbeck@hotmail.com. Thanks
I agree that these are probaby a laser-cut type thing, the fact we can get them on the CNC is amazing. We don't use thousands of these, maybe 100-200 on a job, but I thought if they were produced commercially like #10 and #20 biscuits we could order a box and mod the drawing to cut for those. I think the biscuits are probably die stamped, so it would make sense the butterfly keys if they were made commercially would be made similarly.

It wouldn't be my "call" on these, I'm not the money man at the shop, but I'll run this past our "guru" and see what he thinks.
I know he cut out a whole sheet worth of these a while back, so there's a large box of them to use up yet, but I also remember a number of strips coming off the vac table surface enough they moved and were not usable, I'm guessing the loss rate was probably 20% due to that, and then he had to cut each one away from it's strip as they each needed to have little bit of "tab" to keep them in place during cutting, so that's another headache plus sanding the edges of each.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:44 PM
Camaster Owner

That would be appreciated. Thank you.

SR-44
Performance Package
3.25 HP router
T-slot table
Vcarve software