CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Recoil Indexing Lathe (4th Axis)

Old 05-06-2016, 04:30 PM
CAMaster Owner, (MOD, KOTR)

I Like it

~M

3-D Modeling
https://carveddetails.com

mm@mezalick.com
Old 05-06-2016, 05:41 PM
CAMaster Owner

Another awesome video Gary, Thanks
Index Lathe
Performance kit, VCarve Pro 8.0
Old 05-14-2016, 03:06 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Here is the last rotary based video for Jim's Camp.

Done in VCPro, no rotary wrapped job required. The quickest way I have found to develop a rotary 3D profile. Pay no attention to the ugly shape, this is a "proof of concept"

https://youtu.be/9bLnP9R7bE0
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 05-14-2016, 03:43 PM
CAMaster Owner

Funky! Looking forward to learning some magic Gary.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:00 PM
CAMaster Owner

Gurus, I have what may be some naive questions for you. I have a spindle that I want to make. It'll have a couple of 2"x2" square sections, a small tenon with rounded shoulders, and a couple of round sections. The idea is to cut a couple of tenons into two sides each of the square tenons and put some 3D carvings on the remaining two sides of each square. And then put some flutes or spirals on the two round sections. Because I'm paying for a recoil, and I have time.

The thing is, I can start with a square 2"x2" blank that's been machined pretty accurately on my tablesaw. Aspire is obviously very unhappy with the material setup if I set up the job as 2x2 or a little larger. I don't want to actually cut the square sections though - it's a waste of time and material to start with an almost 3" square part. I'd use vectors for the mortises in the 2D view here, not the outlines shown
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 7.05.42 PM.jpg
Obviously, I also wouldn't want any crashes anyway.

The only way I can think to fake it out is to actually set the job up as a 2.8284271247" diameter part, even though it's going to really be 2x2. The round parts can be machined with a regular 2D profile in rectangles that are slightly wider that the unwrapped 2D model and a 2" planer bit.

For the square parts, I'd thought I'd have to create a 3D roughing profile that will never actually be run with a machining allowance of 0.005, say. And then use a 3D finishing pass that will actually carve the sides. But it seems like Aspire doesn't actually use REST machining, and I could set up a finishing pass only - the blue cut path lines show only one height pass with an 3D offset strategy. I haven't actually added any clipart yet - I'm just trying to see if I'm on the correct path. I know I can also limit the 3D model cuts with vectors.

And then I could just use vectors projected onto the 3D model for the mortises.

I also know that I could probably cut the mortises and 3D carvings without the recoil, and then use the recoil for the rounding and spirals, but that seems more error prone. Or is it?

As I asked above, am I on the correct path? Or totally in the weeds?

Thanks,
Gary
Aspire
Old 09-24-2018, 08:13 PM
CAMaster Owner

This Vectric tutorial is relevant: http://support.vectric.com/tutorials...p?video_id=106

Basically, divide the spindle into sections and machine the square area separately from the cylindrical area. It's a little complicated to get setup, but once you do so the design work isn't too hard. Take a look at that tutorial.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I've seen that one. There's also an updated one for 9.5: https://support.vectric.com/tutorial...p?video_id=106. The vector unwrapped is no longer a gadget. It's a built in option for rotary jobs, which is really nice.(I can't count how many hours of Vectric tutorial videos I've watched over the past 5-6 weeks. Time well spent though. There's always something new to learn.)

At least I know I'm on the correct path then. Onward!
Aspire
Old 09-24-2018, 08:50 PM
CAMaster Owner

Ah, Gary, I meant to reference the newer 9.5 tutorial. The 9.5 rotary job is much nicer than the pre-9.5 gadget!

What has worked best for me is to consider the square shoulder section as a separate non-rotary job. Rotate to 0 degrees, flatten if needed, cut mortise, rotate to 90 degrees, repeat, rotate to 270, repeat. Done. Then go do the rotary job on the remainder of the leg. Again, a little awkward to think about, but you'll get there.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:07 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.davison View Post
Ah, Gary, I meant to reference the newer 9.5 tutorial. The 9.5 rotary job is much nicer than the pre-9.5 gadget!

What has worked best for me is to consider the square shoulder section as a separate non-rotary job. Rotate to 0 degrees, flatten if needed, cut mortise, rotate to 90 degrees, repeat, rotate to 270, repeat. Done. Then go do the rotary job on the remainder of the leg. Again, a little awkward to think about, but you'll get there.
So just to make sure Iím not misunderstanding, most of the machining is done on the table, right? Rotary is just for rounding and spirals and flutes.
Aspire
Old 09-25-2018, 06:07 AM
CAMaster Owner

Actually, it must be this way. Thereís not enough X-axis travel by the rotary to machine flat stuff.
Aspire