CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > CAMaster Cabinetmaking

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM
de5 de5 is online now
Cobra Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honea Path, SC
Posts: 907
Default

Thanks Eric, That's a very helpful 'real world' post. A lot of times numbers alone don't mean much until you can relate them to what they can actually provide.
__________________
Charlie Hind
Cobra 404 ATC with 12 tool positions & 4th Axis (2012-present)
(2006-2012 - K2 CNC... sold in 2012 to buy the Cobra)
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 PM
rcrawford rcrawford is offline
Cobra Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,171
Default

That gives me hope Eric! I was just about to order a 12hp Becker rotary vane pump before this thread started. Would have cost me about $8500 with a phase converter.

Now I'm looking into rotary lobe! I just found a new 10hp single phase farm motor for $1000 at my local farm supply co-op (shipping in western Canada is killer, so its often cheaper to buy local than have something shipped).

But if those VFDs work well like the dairy guys say, then I might get one of those and a 3ph motor so I can save on power when I'm not needing as many cfm.
__________________
Russell Crawford
Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
Alberta, Canada
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Eric Mims Eric Mims is offline
CAMaster Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 434
Default

I will mention that if you use a lobe pump without proper silencer, they will be crazy loud. I didn't have a full lobe vacuum setup, just the actual pump, so I stuck a truck muffler on the exhaust side which cut down the sound by 75%, but still loud enough that I placed it in a different utility room. The silencers made for lobe pumps surely reduce the noise further, so keep that in mind if you go with a lobe.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Denny J Denny J is offline
CAMhead Friend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford View Post
That gives me hope Eric! I was just about to order a 12hp Becker rotary vane pump before this thread started. Would have cost me about $8500 with a phase converter.

Now I'm looking into rotary lobe! I just found a new 10hp single phase farm motor for $1000 at my local farm supply co-op (shipping in western Canada is killer, so its often cheaper to buy local than have something shipped).

But if those VFDs work well like the dairy guys say, uthen I might get one of those and a 3ph motor so I can save on power when I'm not needing as many cfm.
There is a lobe pump for sale right now in Michigan that was recently rebuilt for 1700 dollars if anyone is at all interested in that. No motor just the pump. Check farm supply sites for motors too. Lots of motors from augers, grain set ups etc you can buy cheap if you have patience and time.

If anyone can get by with less vacuum I am selling my 7HP blower with transformer.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 PM
de5 de5 is online now
Cobra Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honea Path, SC
Posts: 907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny J View Post
If anyone can get by with less vacuum I am selling my 7HP blower with transformer.
What kind of CFMs and "HG do you get with it? What does the transformer do?
__________________
Charlie Hind
Cobra 404 ATC with 12 tool positions & 4th Axis (2012-present)
(2006-2012 - K2 CNC... sold in 2012 to buy the Cobra)
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Denny J Denny J is offline
CAMhead Friend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by de5 View Post
What kind of CFMs and "HG do you get with it? What does the transformer do?
I don't have a gauge on it so I am not sure of the HG that it gets. It came with the CNC when I bought it.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
de5 de5 is online now
Cobra Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honea Path, SC
Posts: 907
Default

Have a look at these vacuum pumps from the Grainger catalog. Are these "Roots" pumps the same type as the "Lobe" we've been discussing? I'm thinking for my purpose the 2nd one ($1388) would be all I'd need. Most of you will scoff at the low CFM, but keep in mind that all my work is done on a small gasketed vacuum fixture and I've been getting by with a 6 CFM unit made for air conditioner guys. To me, 100 CFM would be HUGE. Generally, if I can keep the vac gauge above 10 Hg, my parts stay down. So what do you think? Would this pump be a decent choice for me?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf grainger_vacuum_pump.pdf (157.3 KB, 21 views)
__________________
Charlie Hind
Cobra 404 ATC with 12 tool positions & 4th Axis (2012-present)
(2006-2012 - K2 CNC... sold in 2012 to buy the Cobra)
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Eric Mims Eric Mims is offline
CAMaster Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 434
Default

de5, yes, but keep in mind that the pump would need a motor to drive it, a motor mount (etc) to attach the pump and motor to it, a direct drive Lovejoy coupling or some type of belt/pulley system to hook motor to pump, a silencer/muffler setup, and relief valve. It looks like those listings are for only the pump itself.

I used a lobe pump simply because I happened to find one in a scrap yard for $50 and it was worth it for me to get the other parts and scrap together a working system.

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM
rcrawford rcrawford is offline
Cobra Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by de5 View Post
Have a look at these vacuum pumps from the Grainger catalog. Are these "Roots" pumps the same type as the "Lobe" we've been discussing? I'm thinking for my purpose the 2nd one ($1388) would be all I'd need. Most of you will scoff at the low CFM, but keep in mind that all my work is done on a small gasketed vacuum fixture and I've been getting by with a 6 CFM unit made for air conditioner guys. To me, 100 CFM would be HUGE. Generally, if I can keep the vac gauge above 10 Hg, my parts stay down. So what do you think? Would this pump be a decent choice for me?
If you are only using vacuum fixtures, I don't think you want something with 100cfm. That would be a waste of power and vacuum! There are very good small rotary vane pumps that will give you 28"hg and around 30cfm, and those would be much better suited for your work.

I got a venturi, MAC valve and pressure switch for about $200 that will give me 9cfm and will cycle on and off between 20-25"hg. Works excellent for my vacuum fixtures, but requires 12cfm of airflow at 100psi. With good gasketing around my fixtures, it only cycles on for about 3 seconds out of every 12 seconds (more or less).
__________________
Russell Crawford
Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
Alberta, Canada
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:26 PM
de5 de5 is online now
Cobra Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honea Path, SC
Posts: 907
Default

Good point Eric. I guess what I've got now is a rotary vane. What I've seen are all low CFM. What kind of price range are you talking about Russell...for a 30 CFM? Can you recommend a website or post a link?
__________________
Charlie Hind
Cobra 404 ATC with 12 tool positions & 4th Axis (2012-present)
(2006-2012 - K2 CNC... sold in 2012 to buy the Cobra)
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.