CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The CAMhead Locker Room!

Old 10-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Default About this Forum !

The locker room is a place for you to share. Name the thread after your self or business. Post pics and video about your jobs and your machine. The intention is to build the strength of our own little family.

If you show us we all can emulate and grow.

We have some very talented folks on here and sometimes some of the work they do gets in to a thread and then with new post are pushed down the line. With the locker room we can easily find the picture of that jig Russell posted with out any trouble.

Please use this as your personal page inside CAMheads.

US Router Tools
888-720-TOOL (8665)
www.usroutertools.com
Old 10-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Every CAMaster owner should start a thread for them selves and keep your discussions and info there, it will help with cataloginging and retrieving info as time goes on

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Stinger Owner

Great idea! Now if I can just find a few minutes to do it!

Mike
Sidewinder Back Knife Rotary
Epilog Legend
www.artcentergraphics.com
www.baconwood.com
Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 PM

This is beginning to work well, my hope is all owners will build a thread for them selves so all discussion and some show and tell can be cataloged better for future use,

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 AM

Default Personal forums

We can make forums personal so threads to save info can be created

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Camaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
Every CAMaster owner should start a thread for them selves and keep your discussions and info there, it will help with cataloginging and retrieving info as time goes on
Hello James. I hope this is the right place for the following. If not, please let me know. I have a question regarding power to my just arrived Stinger 1w/ 1.7 KW spindle. The suggestion is to use a 20A 220V breaker which is fine. My question is, is there any reason I can't use a 220V 15A wall receptacle for the plug coming from the controller? Considering that a 1.7 KW spindle should draw about 7.3 amps I don't see a problem. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any help. Ian
Old 11-03-2013, 01:18 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Ian...
That recommendation is correct. The spindle itself may draw only 7.3A (I haven't verified this) but a single phase VFD will draw more amps than that to generate the 3rd 3 phase leg. The recommendations are for peak amps draw. That configuration draws 16 peak amps.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Camaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
Ian...
That recommendation is correct. The spindle itself may draw only 7.3A (I haven't verified this) but a single phase VFD will draw more amps than that to generate the 3rd 3 phase leg. The recommendations are for peak amps draw. That configuration draws 16 peak amps.
Thanks for your reply Gary. I think I've answered my own question by carefully looking at the 220 power cord that goes to the wall receptacle. It's rated "2pole 3wire 15amp 250v". Therefore the 15amp receptacle I have, should do just fine. I'm not sure why the machine would be supplied with a 15amp plug if it draws 16 peak amps. Of course I'm not an electrician but to my mind amps are amps. Again, am I missing something? Ian
Old 11-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Stinger II Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeian View Post
Thanks for your reply Gary. I think I've answered my own question by carefully looking at the 220 power cord that goes to the wall receptacle. It's rated "2pole 3wire 15amp 250v". Therefore the 15amp receptacle I have, should do just fine. I'm not sure why the machine would be supplied with a 15amp plug if it draws 16 peak amps. Of course I'm not an electrician but to my mind amps are amps. Again, am I missing something? Ian
Make sure you use a receptacle/plug that has four terminals: two hot, one neutral, and the ground. Can't use the three wire types, at least with my machine. The two hots provide 115 volt relative to neutral for some of the controls to use. I'm not an electrician either so others may add more details. Also, browse the forum for older posts on this topic if that would help.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:11 AM
Camaster Owner

Thanks Charlie. Just found this quote from Luke at Camaster referring to the Stinger 1 with the HSD 1.7KW spindle. "The 220 power plug is a regular 3 wire 220 just like what you have on a table saw or any other 220 plug. You do have a 4 wire plug on the box, but that goes to the spindle the power coming in to the box is single phase 220. When it goes to the vfd and comes out it is transferred to 3 phase 220 that is why you will have 4 wire". Apparently there's some confusion regarding plugs/wiring for Stinger 1 & Stinger 2. The Stinger 2 has a four prong plug whereas the Stinger 1 has the 3 prong. My lesson from all this? If you look hard enough on the forum, you'll eventually find the answer you're looking for. Thanks again