CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > CAMaster Cabinetmaking

Old 07-29-2014, 07:39 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Onion skinning and burrs

Onion skinnning some cabinet parts. Using a 3/8" compression bit at 18k rpm, and 700 IPM. Material is 5/8" melamine coated particle board. Machine is a Cobra 510 ATC with 20HP vacuum. 3/4" MDF for the spoil board.

Most of the parts that are skinned are leaving a ridge/ burr where the skin was.

Skin is .015" thick.

Next set of parts I run, I'm going to make my first pass at .5", then my second pass all the way through.

Anyone else have a little burr left, or suggestions on what I should try to get a nice sharp edge.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:24 PM
CAMhead Legend

On the first pass, the bit is getting pulled into the material, which is what leaves the ridge on the onion skin.
Some people climb cut the first pass, and conventional cut the onion skin pass. This may not work well at 700ipm, because the climb cut side won't be as clean, and you may get chipping on the finished edge.
You might want to try cutting the first pass about .02" oversize, and let the onion skin pas clean up what's left.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Milzie...
Gerry is spot on with his climb/conventional strategy. The climb 1st pass will usually deflect a few thousandths away for the cut line, but the conventional thru cut will leave the edge ready for the bander. You can also vary the depth of the 1st pass a little to extend bit life as the melamine coating tears up bits pretty fast right at the top surface.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks guys, you've given me a few more things to try