CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The CAMhead Locker Room!

Old 07-13-2016, 03:14 PM
Camaster Owner

Simple Win7 PC with HyperSpin connected to a X-Arcade Tankstick disassembled and placed in custom control surface.

The front facia is a really nice tiger maple I cut using the new Moulding toolpath feature in V-Carve 8.5. This will be my new favorite function for custom furniture faces.

I already have several projects stacked up to create 1 piece flowing fascias with the drawer faces cutout from the same shaped blank.

Brian
Old 07-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Banned

thank you very much!
Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Camaster Owner

Default Tree relief carving with molding toolpath frame

OK, latest output. Charlie inspired me with his extremely large tree relief carving he did for the bank so I initially set out to do a v-carve 8'X8' framed. I am so glad I scaled it back to 3'X4' just to get out of the indexing on my 4'X4' bed. I did not want another variable and difficulty in this process.

Started with a photo that I bought the right to use and created a bitmap trace to try and posterize. The resulting vector file was 16mB and took me almost 40 hours to clean up enough so that the v-carve toolpath would generate. The problem occurs when 2 diamond or vertexes touch and v-carve has difficulty determining what is what. I cleaned up all the non-organic looking shapes and got the code to generate. .125" flat depth with 60 v and 1/4" end for clearance.

Started the v-cut on a 4'X4' aspen panel with 4 coats of clear acrylic (my go to finish these days) and paint mask. 24 hours of straight machining and I had a paint mask mess. Removed all mask then sealed with another coat of acrylic. Experimented on off scraps to see how to apply color and finished up with enamel brown paint. The dyes, stains, and tints all bled through seal coats and looked bad. Sanded down stained seal coats and refinished with 3 more layers of acrylic.

Molding toolpath generation. This is my new favorite function but beware, there is a serious bug with the rough cut generator that I have found with both projects to date. The path is generated for the first pass and the max depth variable is ignored. The code generated tried to drive a 1/2' endmill 1-1/2" deep @ 200 in/min in to hard maple. Caught it soon enough to slow down but this is a very scary episode that Vectric is aware of and working to get a patch. The end product is just plain amazing. No longer does everything have to have 90 corners - Amen.

Total time including CAD , machining, and finish is well over 80 hours. 4 times what I initially thought it should have been.

Thanks Charlie for the inspiration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1780.jpg (99.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1781.jpg (99.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1779.jpg (92.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 08-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Stinger II Owner

Brian,
Thanks for sharing this work and the details. Looking great!! I also like your little keys you have in the frame to hold the corners together. Keep up the creativity.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Camaster Owner

Default Carbon Paint Palette

This is for all those material hoarders out there. I have had a couple 12" square plates I laid up almost 25 years ago and kept just because "some day I might need this". This is an example why when you are contemplating the trash bin because you haven't used, use restraint and just put it back on the shelf.

I needed a palette to hold my paint for a window I was gilding and asked T.R. for a vector of his version. I of course had to make it my own so changed quite a bit but the key was I needed a material. Hunting through the shop I found all different types of material that would work but low and behold the light popped on when I found the carbon fiber layup and came to the realization that it is now time to finally put to use this 25 year old dust collector.

Nothing special about the profile or cutting (.125" carbon fiber with 2 layers of 2X2 weave and 12 layers of uni-directional) except it can probably hold up a car. Do I need a carbon palette? Hell no but it sure is cool.

Have fun guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0578.jpg (92.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:13 AM
CAMaster Owner

AWESOME!
I expected you to modify mine, which I'm going to do myself, anyway. Mine is a version of the late Bill Roedel's, & is designed to use with a mahl stick. I use a mahl stick maybe once a year, so my re-design is likely going to be a cross between yours, mine & a rich man's outhouse ( a 3 holer)
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 06-15-2018, 09:21 AM
CAMaster Owner

Very kewel...and it looks like it's going 100 mph with that carbon fiber look. :)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us