CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > CAMaster Cabinetmaking

Old 05-09-2018, 11:34 PM
Camaster owner

Default 3/4Baltic birch for cabinet parts?

I am currently cutting about 30 sheets a day of 3/4 maple ply UV 2 sides for our cabinets .Iam wanting to try a little different product wich will be 3/4 Baltic birch UV2 sides do any of you guys have any advice on why I should or shouldn’t. Thanks
Old 05-10-2018, 06:35 AM
CAMhead Legend

The baltic birch will probably be more expensive, and tougher on tooling.

While technically, it'll make a stronger cabinet, a cabinet made from cheap particle board will likely last just as long, unless it's in a wet environment or abused.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 05-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Camaster Owner

Unless there's some specific reason to use baltic (e.g., the edges will be seen, the cabinet will be mobile, etc.) I don't know a good reason to switch to it for cabinets. It's a bit more expensive and also heavier. You didn't say you're having issues with the finishes/plies with your current product, but if you are then maybe check out a different product or supplier. For example, Garnica is a bit more expensive but we've had good luck with clarity, finishes and thickness of the veneers.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:13 PM
CAMaster Owner

We cut some weird parts (abstract flower shapes for hotels) from B. Birch for another company who then sprays them and sell to the hotel supplier. It is very abrasive on tooling. We actually started a fire on about the 12th sheet. Tooling just dulls way too fast, heat build up in the funky shapes we were cutting, and the sheet started smoldering. We caught it before anything serious came from it, but its definitely something to pay attention to.

As mentioned in the above 2 previous replies, unless you have some specific need such as the edges showing as part of the design, I wouldn't do it.

Camaster Cobra 510 ATC
10HP spindle, 20HP vacuum
Old 05-10-2018, 02:46 PM
CAMhead Legend

Jeff, try doing a roughcut to about 80%-90% full depth with something like a Vortex 1140, followed by a single finish pass. The rough tool will take most of the wear, and will allow you to rough cut really fast. You can run a downcut bit even after they start getting pretty dull, so they last a fairly long time.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
Jeff, try doing a roughcut to about 80%-90% full depth with something like a Vortex 1140, followed by a single finish pass. The rough tool will take most of the wear, and will allow you to rough cut really fast. You can run a downcut bit even after they start getting pretty dull, so they last a fairly long time.
Thanks Gerry! Great info to know and sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share with us. While we do not cut a tremendous amount of Baltic, I have got where I like to keep 3-5 sheets on hand at all times. I have yet to find a better material for making "jigs", shop shelves, clamp hangers, etc out of this material. I am always looking for bit saving tips and this sounds like a great one!
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0

On order:
Cobra Elite 5 x 10 ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

"You never learn anything by doing it right."
If that were true, I would be one of the most intelligent people you would ever meet.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Camaster owner

Thanks you guys for the info and you time to reply .I could get the BB cheaper than what I am paying for the maple ply we cut now . That is the only reason I would consider this option.mostly only use melamine for closets,pantry’s,and when we get the commercial stuff .I absolutely agree that it can make a fine cabinet when used in the proper location . I actually live directly on the water and most of my businesses and homes we do are waterfront or almost in the water so melamine in my area it’s not a huge residential option though I would like to only be doing a commercial stuff we have not grown to that point yet we recently purchased a new machine to handle all the volume and material prices are all over the board and going up😮Thanks Gerry,Jeff and Steve 👍👍👍
Old 05-10-2018, 09:39 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallex View Post
Thanks you guys for the info and you time to reply .I could get the BB cheaper than what I am paying for the maple ply we cut now .

We have a customer that requests premium Maple plywood and the structural quality is not what Baltic Birch with the veneer looking very similar. We are also in the process of trying to get our customer to switch for cost savings and structure quality in the 1/2 plywoods.

So, I know were you are coming from. Like to hear what you finally arrive at.
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0

On order:
Cobra Elite 5 x 10 ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

"You never learn anything by doing it right."
If that were true, I would be one of the most intelligent people you would ever meet.