CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > The Business of CNC

Old 01-19-2017, 09:35 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Slow Time

I've had my Cobra 5X10 for about a year now and i only bought it for one job which is making sewing machine table tops. I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction to look for work when mine is slow? Some one in my area told me he knew of a "contractor for CNC" but he drops the idea every time i bring it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am located in lower West TN.
Cobra 5X10 ATC
Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Camaster Owner

Hunter,

You might make some samples of what you can do and go to local copy shops, UPS store etc and show them. Pick up some cabinet doors at Home Depot/Lowes and V-Carve pictures or stuff?

Making demos will give you a since of time required to make a cabinet door (pick up scratch and dents if they have them).

Give a few away or half cost to drum up some work?

Kevin
Aspire 8.5, Photo w/Cut-3d, CPP
TDS Control Keypads - Inventor of the TDS/KRS Keypads
www.krscorporation.com for keypad support home
YouTube Videos
Old 01-19-2017, 11:47 AM
CAMhead Legend

You might get better responses if you listed the sort of work you might be interested in getting in to. Just making table tops is somewhat limiting.
Wincnc
Vectric Vcarve Pro 8.5
Adobe Illustrator
Corel Graphic Suite X7
Sketchup
Old 01-19-2017, 12:07 PM
CAMaster Owner

I'm really open to anything. I have made a few signs for friends, also i do turkey pot calls for a local company. other than that it is sewing machines but i am open to learning new things and also learning new programing stuff as far as cabinets or cutting parts out.
Cobra 5X10 ATC
Old 01-19-2017, 02:10 PM
CAMaster Owner

Not sure if it would work in your area, but 90% of what I use my 510 for is cabinet parts. I cut ply for the cabinet boxes and MDF doors for small cabinet shops in my area. Usually they are 1 or 2 man shops and having all the parts cut, shelf pin holes drilled and dados routed out labeled to where they just assemble, has proven to be profitable for them as well. No one around me, in the smaller shops at least run a CNC.

Cobra 510
10HP ATC
Vacuum Table

Stinger II SR44
recoil lathe
3 KW Spindle
Performance Package
Speed Control
Vacuum Table
Old 01-19-2017, 02:37 PM
CAMaster Owner

There are 4 cabinet shops within 10 miles of me and 3 of 4 run CNC. I've contacted them and told them i would help if they got over loaded. the shop with no CNC contacted and asked what i would charge to run goods for them. all they wanted was grooves cut in MDF 8 foot long. Told them $60 an hour and they claimed that was to high. and i thought i quoted it cheap enough to get work.

I have a folder of ideas my wife has found on her favorite site.. pintrest.... (which is trouble for the most part!) i have thought about doing these for small boutiques locally and see if they could sell them.. wine rack holders, scarf racks, such things like that... Kevin made a good point as just to take them around and see who would be interested..
Cobra 5X10 ATC
Old 01-19-2017, 02:44 PM
CAMaster Owner

Something else i wanted to ask that was brought up in my main comment. I am new to the CNC world. But are there really "contractors" for CNC that have people that are looking to rent time?
Cobra 5X10 ATC
Old 01-19-2017, 04:19 PM
Cobra Owner

Not sure I'd want to rent time on my Cobra. Too much can go wrong! I'd prefer to do the cutting myself, and let them do the finishing.

What sort of shop do you have? Do you have all the normal shop tools so you could make furniture? Start making chairs to go with your sewing tables.

Cabinet work is okay money, but you need volume. Furniture is good money, but a lot of the work is off the CNC. MDF picture frames is pretty good money if you can find a market to sell them (or find someone willing to finish them and sell them for you).
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 01-19-2017, 04:55 PM
CAMaster Owner

I would for sure be the one running the machine. I guess i didn't word that exactly right.

I have all of the basic tools a shop would have. Plainer, joiner, rip saw, scroll saw, lathe, table saw, welder and torch.

My sewing machine table tops are for industrial sewing machines for garment and textile factories, and what mom and pop shops are left.

But i am glad you brought up the picture frame idea.. My passion and knowledge of woodworking came from my late uncle. I would spend countless hours with him in his shop helping him build anything he had going on when i was growing up. And i now have all of his tools and equipment plus some. I have his old picture frame clamp hanging on my wall in shop that I have never used. Sounds like a good time to start now that i have the CNC. Now time to go to the drawing board!! Thanks for all the help and advice from everybody!
Cobra 5X10 ATC