CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 PM
CAMhead Legend

Default sketchup Pro

Are there any Sketchup Pro users out there in camhead land? If so could you enlighten us on how it works for your use.

stinger III x3

vcarve pro
Old 11-16-2017, 09:05 PM
Camaster Owner

Yes. Use it daily. Works fine. I probably don't use a lot of the pro features, other than some of the import and export features. I use it in conjunction with Mozaik to render cabinets and rooms, and also to design furniture. When I design furniture with it, I build the furniture board-by-board and dump the output into Aspire. Don't use it to develop 3d parts, only stuff I'm going to cut with 2d toolpaths.

Per the license, since I use it for commercial use I'm required to have a Pro license. I suppose you could get away with not doing that, but I prefer to work ethically. Do you have specific questions?

Last edited by sgodding; 11-16-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:07 PM
CAMhead Legend

I was thinking about using it for drawings. At least I think that is what layout is for from my investigating. One thing I liked was how you can do parametric changes. A lot of what I use the free version for is to draw the projects that require 3D views. The last three jobs I've done need 3D drawings just to figure out how parts go together.

stinger III x3

vcarve pro
Old 11-17-2017, 11:56 AM
CAMaster Owner

I use Sketchup Pro.

My motivation for going with the pro version rather than free version is the the desire to use some Pro features like Layout and the license requires the pro version for commercial work.

My motivation for using Sketchup is it's combination of simplicity and wide use by woodworkers.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:09 PM
CAMhead Legend

I was talking to another local cabinet shop owner who was having problems using the pro version and he said he was unable to get any help from sketchup.
He said he tried to contact them via phone, email etc with no response at all. I don't know what problems he was having or what version he was using. Thats got me a little leary of dropping the dough on a product with no customer support. If the only support is on line forums that doesn't say much in my opinion. I currently use the free version and when I need to know how to do something I use Youtube videos first.

stinger III x3

vcarve pro
Old 11-17-2017, 12:42 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian O View Post
I was talking to another local cabinet shop owner who was having problems using the pro version and he said he was unable to get any help from sketchup.
He said he tried to contact them via phone, email etc with no response at all. I don't know what problems he was having or what version he was using. Thats got me a little leary of dropping the dough on a product with no customer support. If the only support is on line forums that doesn't say much in my opinion. I currently use the free version and when I need to know how to do something I use Youtube videos first.
Huh. Well, I contacted Trimble/SU support just yesterday via email and received very quick, attentive help. One data point is hardly proof that Trimble/SU is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but my experience has been good.

Additionally, there is a ton of online help. Good YouTube videos, etc.

Honestly, I can come up with good reasons to go with other tools like Rhino, but lack of support for SU Pro would not be one of those reasons. Rhino, in my minimally-knowledgeable opinion, is a better 3D CAD program. It comes with a bigger learning curve and doesn't have the wide-spread woodworking community use, but it is more powerful.