CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > Vectric - Aspire

Old 04-05-2018, 11:05 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default OD spiral cut

Not sure how to descibe this but I have a small part that I need to cut out that looks like a shark tooth. My customer wants a round over edge on the top and bottom of the material (1” HDPE) as it’s cut. I went out and purchased a vortex 3670 round over bit. Since the bit will cut into my surface board I came up with a small fixture to raise it up a little so it will not bite into my spoil board so my plan is to rough out a square from a 4x10 of HDPE with some mounting holes in it then take it and mount it to my fixture. The profile is kind of goofy and in the 2d form it looks like a sharks tooth with two mounting holes. I would like to square the “tooth” up for my rough dimension, let’s say about 3” x4” then switch the machine set up to my final cut fixture and mount/cut it on that. To reduce forces on it I would like to go around the part multiple times in a circular way so that I cut in the outside profile slowly instead of one hog pass. I hope this makes sense.....kind of like spiraling in from outside to cut in my final dimension. I didn’t know if anyone may have done this before or tricked ventric into doing this.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:36 PM
Stinger II Owner

I'm pretty sure I don't understand all your thoughts. Seemed like a spiral ramp along with a thin last pass of your profile cut would maybe be part of the solution?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:21 AM
Camaster Owner

I think if you made multiple offsets outward of the original shape ( about 0.125” or so). You would need to set each offset shape as a separate tool path starting on the outer one ( possibly merge all the tool paths together) So if you started 1/2” from the outside of the the original shape, you would have 4 passes at 0.125 each. Hope that makes sense?

SR-44
Performance Package
3.25 HP router
T-slot table
Vcarve software
Old 04-06-2018, 07:02 AM
CAMhead Legend

As Dennis said, profile cuts with multiple offsets.
Make sure you lead in from far enough away to clear the profile on the plunge.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 04-06-2018, 12:39 PM
CAMhead Friend

I was actually thinking that late last night...multiple offsets. I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the help!!
-Brad