CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger III

Old 05-16-2018, 11:03 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Hauling a Stinger III

Any suggestions on the best way to move a Stinger III with the index lathe from one location to another 600 miles away?

My plan is to jack it up, put it on dollies to get it from his shop to a roll back truck and use their winch to pull it up then roll it off on the dollies into a 16' box truck, take off the dollies, nail 2 x 4's to the bed around the foot pads to prevent movement and strap it to the side walls to hold it in place. Then repeat that here with another roll back to get it off the box truck and into my shop.

Thanks
Ron
Old 05-16-2018, 11:54 AM
CAMaster Owner

Sounds like you have it squared away. I would contact (just my opinion) CAMaster, ask Mrs Kathy to speak with whomever handles prepping machines for transport, & make sure you have covered your bases considering the investment. I think that would be time well spent and you sound like you have everything else covered.
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0

On order:
Cobra Elite 5 x 10 ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

"You never learn anything by doing it right."
If that were true, I would be one of the most intelligent people you would ever meet.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:58 AM
CAMaster Owner

If you are using a flat bed truck you might want to get some stretch wrap. You can buy it from somewhere like uline.com (product is called GoodWrappers.)

It is about 24" wide and a roll can completely seal the unit from rain / moisture.

I recently shipped a smaller CNC unit, and used this film to hold the gantry / head in position. It held up very nicely.
15HP FPZ Vacuum
Alco 200 Dust collector

WinCNC 3.0 / Aspire v9 / PhotoVCarve

It's a hobby with some very expensive toys!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:37 PM
CAMaster Owner

I suggest the stretch wrap for the whole gantry assembly, etc., even if the machine is going into a box truck just for additional peace of mind. On the foot-pads, Camaster blocks them down with wood "over" the pad edges to insure they stay put on the crating...the same should apply with your truck bed.

Otherwise your plan should be workable. Be sure that your truck box is wide enough to accommodate the machine...wink, wink...nod, nod...

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 05-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Stinger II Owner

I would skip the dollies. Jack up the machine, bolt a 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 or 4 by 4 to the legs, making a runner under the legs. Add some cross members if appropriate. Then just slide on the floor, using the winch to pull up on the truck bed. The legs have nice holes for securing the 4 by 4's in my example.

I'm not describing very well but it worked well on a smaller machine we moved. About 1,600 pounds, 6 foot cube.

Then you can bolt/screw/strap down to the truck bed as needed. Make the runners longer than the unit so it protects at least two ends of the machine from movement. In my case I made it to protect all four sides.

See these photos for ideas. I used 2 by 4's and 4 by 4's in the photos.

Just figure out where you want the fork truck to put the forks, if that lift is needed.

Just ideas....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-12-26 17.14.49.jpg (94.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-12-26 17.15.02.jpg (96.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-12-30 09.36.31.jpg (99.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-16-2018, 01:46 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks and it is 90" wide
Old 05-17-2018, 06:59 AM
CAMaster owner

I bought some casters I have been meaning to either stick or adapt to my stingerII for just this eventuality.

SR-34
V-Carve Pro V8
1.7kw Spindle, FTC and counter balance and T-rails
Recoil Ready
Old 05-17-2018, 07:43 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default I built skids for mine when I moved it.

Worked like a champ. I drilled pocket holes into the top 2 x 6 and inset the feet into those holes to secure the skids to the machine. I hooked a chain fall to the trailer and pulled it write up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM-01.jpg (98.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:23 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnocker View Post
I bought some casters I have been meaning to either stick or adapt to my stingerII for just this eventuality.
I bought casters for my SR-44 specifically for the unloading exercise and in case I need to move the machine out in the future to tile something larger than the 6' or so I can do with the back up against the wall. The legs are threaded for 3/4"x10 studs. Raising one end with a scissor jack makes installation and removal of the casters very easy.

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us