CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > Cabinet Parts Pro

Old 03-14-2018, 01:51 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Pockets

When running my dados as a pocket tool path while using a 5mm cutter I am always left with a rib of material in the dado. Doesnt seem the pocket is optimized appropriately.

Id also like to set up my drilling paths as a peck drill operation rather then a full straight plunge.

Any help out there?

I want to be able to run with 5mm comp bits so i do not have to tool change.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:23 PM
CAMhead Legend

I don't know what CAM software you are using, but both can be fixed in V-Carve Pro.

1) Adjust stepover value (default should be 40%) of the bit to a slightly smaller value to machine away the left on material. 40% is really the most efficient/most often used value and *should* eliminate left over material on most things. Try it. Look at the previewer and see if it gets it.

2) Peck drilling has been an option in the drilling toolpath since the beginning (VCP anyway) - just tick the box and it will peck at your pass depth value set in the tool database.

-B
Old 03-15-2018, 10:49 AM
CAMhead Friend

Im using cabinet parts pro to tool path and running wincnc control
Old 03-15-2018, 11:10 AM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbrlbll View Post
Im using cabinet parts pro to tool path and running wincnc control
Sorry - can't help you out on that one. You can try their support page

Do I take it that you have NO CAD/CAM at all? No Vectric products? (VCP, Aspire, Cut2D etc)

-B
Old 03-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Camaster Owner

Recommend measuring your bit - I suspect you will find it is not exactly 5mm
Old 03-15-2018, 11:44 AM
cabinetpartspro.com

Try increasing the Step over setting for the selected layer you want to pocket. Rember to click Save as Template after making the change.

To pick drill try changing reducing the depth per pass setting to a value lower than the total drill depth. What material are you cutting that requires pick drilling?
Old 03-16-2018, 06:55 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyWatson View Post
Sorry - can't help you out on that one. You can try their support page

Do I take it that you have NO CAD/CAM at all? No Vectric products? (VCP, Aspire, Cut2D etc)

-B
Well of course I have other products but Im failing to see the relevance. CPP posts directly to wincnc
Old 03-16-2018, 06:55 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cyr View Post
Recommend measuring your bit - I suspect you will find it is not exactly 5mm
It is exactly 5mm.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:03 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Patterson View Post
Try increasing the Step over setting for the selected layer you want to pocket. Rember to click Save as Template after making the change.

To pick drill try changing reducing the depth per pass setting to a value lower than the total drill depth. What material are you cutting that requires pick drilling?
I probably do need to play with the step over that probably makes the most sense. I immediately thought it might be a bug in CPP because I noticed the pockets dont run in a spiral like pockets normally do, It runs in some sort of crisscross pattern leaving a tapered shaped rib in all my slots. As far as depth per pass on drilling. Ive tried this in CPP however the tool does not retract in between depth runs. So essentially I get the same outcome as a full plunge except a slight stutter in between depths. Which is odd considering on every other toolpath type it retracts between depths, just not on drilling.

Its not the material its the fact that I am running a 5mm comp, and plunging straight down over and over and to drill with a comp bit isnt the best for tool life. All its doing is compressing chip material into the hole and burning. If it pecked it would clear the waste more efficiently.

My goal is to be able to nest a sheet without having to change tools between operations.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:20 AM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbrlbll View Post
Well of course I have other products but Im failing to see the relevance. CPP posts directly to wincnc
The relevance is...CPP will export a DXF of your cabinet files so that you can pull them into VCP/Aspire/ArtCAM etc and toolpath them with a higher degree of control than CPP offers. You can ramp in at whatever degree you want, set the peck drilling up with a click of a button and SEE what's going to happen with a full subtractive preview (animated too) before you post the file.

Whether or not one program *should* do something or not doesn't do anything for you right now. (and no program is perfect - not diggin' on CPP) So my point is, there is always more than one way to get a job done & until issues get resolved with one program, you can just as easily crank them out in another. I run a job shop & don't have time to wait for something to get fixed the way I want it...so I always have multiple options to push the work through. That's all...Good luck.

-B