CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > CAMaster Routed Signmaking

Old 10-05-2017, 05:58 PM
CAMhead Guest

Lightbulb Cutting Taped Acrylic Spacer Parts, Got Any Ideas?

Hello all,
I am trying to figure out the best way to cut 1/16" acrylic with double stick tape already applied to a full sheet. Just to be clear, I am not using the tape to hold the part in place, I actually want the part to have tape already applied so that we don't have to hand tape them after they come off the cnc. Holding the parts isn't the issue, it is how to successfully cut the sheet and not get either debris under the liner of the double sided tape or get good clean edges without gumming up the rotary bit. We use a combo of low tac cut vinyl like white transfer tape on the back of the sheet that protects paint, we then use super 77 to secure that sheet to a sheet of plastic coroplast. That holds everything in place quite nicely. The problem is, the double sided tape we use has a wax like backing paper so the transfer tape doesn't stick to this, so we can not put the sheet tape side down against the coroplast. if we run with tape side up we get all kind of debris under the backing paper of the double stick tape rendering it useless. I have tried both an up cut and a down cut bit, both give similar results. If we could figure out a way to have our parts come off the cnc already taped it would save us so much time in labor.
Any ideas?
Old 10-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Cobra Owner

This sounds like a perfect job for a laser. It would be much neater than a CNC router, though I don't know if the laser might burn the tape and leave black smudges on the acrylic.
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 10-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Camaster Owner

The only way is a water jet. Even then the paper layer will want to peel away. We put 2 layers of acrylic, 1 is a scrap piece just to hold things together with the tape sandwiched in the middle. Never thought about sandwiching without the adhesive layer actually attached but if you could find a way to hold down then there is a possibility it would work until the foam and adhesive gummed up the bit. Sorry went on a tangent there for a bit. Still, water jet is the way to go.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:04 AM
CAMhead Friend

I laser cut taped acrylic all the time. It gives a nice polished edge and cut through the tape cleanly
Old 10-06-2017, 10:12 AM
CAMhead Friend

I also use a laser for acrylic. It is the right tool for the job. The edges come out polished.

Tags
acrylic, sign making