CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The File Swap Meet > Vectric 3D Files

Old 10-27-2014, 05:48 PM
CAMhead Legend

Claude , thank you sir for jogging the memory for more info is of course needed......It's 3/4" spalted poplar , no lettering , the design will be something out of the vectric website . Probably a moose since it's a favorite critter of ours here in northern NH.

Best Wishes

Steve
FTC
Laser Pointer
Counter Balance
3.25 HP Milwaukee Router
littlelittlewoodshop.com
Old 10-28-2014, 02:59 AM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

You will find many wild life carving pictures on the forum, here is a clock I made a few years ago.

http://camheads.org/showthread.php?t...ighlight=clock
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie178 View Post
Good morning everyone and I hope I'm going off the correct thread so if not then I will apologize in advance . I too want to run a scene/panel for a personal project in my home but haven't run any 3 dimensional work as of yet. I did get the Vectric free machining software from them and will make up mind on which scene to mill but are there any set up files with the program as far as tooling ? I will probably go with a "Dish" style engraving but just do not see anything as far as how to set up and run the job or do they attach that information at time of purchase ? Wow , don't I wish I could afford Aspire !! Just don't want to waste material trying to figure this out when I can ask the brilliant minds of my fellow Camheads !!

Best Wishes

Steve
3DM is a very good program, I used it for over a year before I got aspire and made many nice works with it.
As I recall, it walks you through steps of sizing then running toolpaths both roughing and finishing, where you will be able to select any bit you want then run the toolpaths, save and cut. But you do have to finish each step before you can go on to the next, if I recall correctly.
It is of course very limited compared to aspire or cut 3d and it is made to be, but it excels are straight forward 3d cuts.

Stinger 1
Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Camaster owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Claude

You can count on Xray to get the best information, he have allot more experience than me under carving.

Thanks Xray for popping in!

Respect
Claude
FTC, Counter balance
T‐Slot tracks
3.25 Porter Cable
Aspire 8,
CorelDraw X6 Suite
MakeCNC

Last edited by Claude; 10-28-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:34 AM
CAMaster Owner

Dennis it's great to learn at whatever pace you feel comfortably. When it's right for you Aspire is a great program for 3D work. They have made it very easy to combine 3D models and even do some on your own. The new version coming out sometime after the first of the year has even better tools for the 3D stuff. They have some wonderful wildlife models to choose from and as I recall a couple nice moose to choose from.

Ask whatever questions you have and I'm sure someone will jump in and help.

Mark
Old 10-28-2014, 12:18 PM
CAMhead Legend

Well thank you guys , I have pretty much consumed up all of the capabilities of VCarve Pro but just not big enough yet to produce the revenue for Aspire so I
think Vectric's free software is the way to go for now . I'm gonna try to run this
for the fascia on my hearth so wish me luck .......put up pictures after I complete this project.

Best Wishes & thank you again everybody !!

Steve
FTC
Laser Pointer
Counter Balance
3.25 HP Milwaukee Router
littlelittlewoodshop.com
Old 10-28-2014, 06:01 PM
CAMhead Legend

Well , I managed to pull it off and got my engraving done today for the hearth with only one drawback.......I cut pretty deep but not all the way through (just don't hold it up to the light)... so I guess my question is this. What settings in Vetrics free software controls cut depth because when I entered the dimensions the Z depth was automatically set and I'm not sure if I overlooked something or if the software has limitations with its own presets and allowances due to the program itself ? First ran a 1/4" roughing bit than 1/8" ball nose to finish it with a beautiful finished engraving of a moose, just went to deep . So any input would be greatly appreciated since these are not short run times.

Best Wishes

Steve
FTC
Laser Pointer
Counter Balance
3.25 HP Milwaukee Router
littlelittlewoodshop.com
Old 10-28-2014, 10:40 PM
CAMaster Owner

Steve,
I'm thinking that your using the Vectric Art 3D Machinist program that you downloaded free from the vectror3d.com web page.

If you are then when you preview the toolpath you can see how deep it will cut by moving your mouse around the model and looking in the bottom right corner of the preview for the Z depth. If it's saying you're going to cut for example .25 deep then that's what it should cut. There's a setting on the first screen that has a Z depth amount and it's also saying to Z zero off the top of you wood.

The other thing you should make sure your using the right post processor for your machine.

I don't know if you looked at the couple videos explaining the process or not but it's always good to check them out.

I use Aspire so I have never used the 3D machinist program but I did watch the first video so I could a least try to help you. If what I'm telling you isn't right maybe some one that has used the program will speak up.

Hope this helps some.

Mark
Old 10-28-2014, 10:53 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

You about got it right Mark.
I believe you can control depth of cut with the "depth" box which is under the height and width - This can be confusing, and its easy to think its asking for material thickness since it seems to be grouped with height and width but the material thickness box is below all of that.
Also should be able to control depth using the "gap above/below" option, best to rotate the model for a side view and look at the changes as you click apply.

Stinger 1

Last edited by Xray; 10-28-2014 at 10:57 PM.