CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Camps, Training, Meetings

Old 04-21-2018, 11:14 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default McGrew Camp Question for the Teachers

Gary, Jim, Brady, etc, etc-

When coming of "age" in the mining world years ago, I had experienced men around me to guide us in regards to what equipment could and could not do. The sounds and smells the equipment made was a big aspect of this. With that in mind, I hear the same phrase here often in regards to "listen to your machine". While understanding the inherent value in this, since our CNC was delivered, I have never had anyone around me to give that guidance. I know what the "extremes" are in regards to this but I was wondering if we could have one of you gents take a machine a McGrews and show us what the "sweet spot" should sound like? I may be sounding like a genuine idiot here but I would really appreciate going back home with a true "benchmark" to go by moving forward. I have a sincere apprehension of discovering after I break something serious, the sweet spot I thought I was at was actually grunts and groans.
Give me a break guys.........I am used to hearing D-10s and D-11s and 12-15yd shovels under loads. I KNOW what that sweet spot should sound like....
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:58 AM
CAMhead Legend

Ron,
First, for clarity, I don't think there are going to be any 'teachers' there...more like a bunch of hacks sharing their craft...LOL!!!

You've probably heard me talk the most about sight, sound & smell - it's my grassroots approach to CNC for guys good at other mechanical things like earthmovers or other woodworking equipment.

The general idea is to make sure the CNC operates in the same manner as you'd use a table saw, chop saw or hand router. You don't want to feed material too quickly with any of these because it will either kick back, bog down and/or look like you cut it with a hatchet when you're done...so the proverbial sweet spot is very subjective to the material being cut, the feed rate, RPM, tooling profile and even hold down method.

There's no absolute science here....it is more seat of the pants - and knowing when to speed things up or slow things down. Harmonics can certainly play a part here with overall cut quality and general 'machine happiness' - Things might vibrate and telegraph into the cut at 100 IPM and 14k RPM, but sound very smooth at 100 IPM and 15k....It's just a matter of knowing your tool and adjusting accordingly. But here's the thing - EVERY tool is different in this regard & showing you that on Jim's machine (if that's even possible) - won't do you much good.

I guess the biggest advice is to DO - make adjustments in the middle of a file - increase/decrease feed rate, adjust RPM up/down - to where things sound and LOOK best. Start/Stop the tool and TRY different things out yourself. Contrary to popular belief - nobody ever showed GC, me and others any of this stuff - you have to just do it. It is a bit of a dance because nobody cares that your machine 'sounded sweet' while cutting out parts if the edges look like you did them with a sawzall....so keep in mind that finished edge quality is the back stop for all of this - and should be the yard stick for making adjustments along the way.

At the end of it all - don't overthink anything...it's no different than adjusting a mixture screw on a carb or trimming the throttle a bit on a big machine because it doesn't vibrate the sun visor in the cab...Right? Same thing...We can talk more @ McGrews if need be - but...I think you've got the idea.

-B
Old 04-22-2018, 02:46 PM
CAMaster Owner

Great advice and laid out perfectly.....even for an ole poor dumb country boy like myself, lol.

Thank you for taking the time!!
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.