CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 02:14 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

You will never have enough tables in a wood shop. I have one old wooden kitchen table and an adjustable height bench like Jim's along with several smaller fold up tables and I still end up putting things on my table saw, planer, jointer etc. You can never have enough although the fold up tables are handy since I can put against the wall when not in use. They are heavy duty and you can find them on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Keter-Folding...ds=work+tables.

My solution is that everything I have in my shop is on wheels to include my Stinger although I have not had to move it. But I regularly move my planer and jointer to accommodate longer pieces, table saw, drill press, drum sander etc. all mobile. My two large tables have wheels. To accommodate all the mobility I have 20ft 220V extension cords which come down from the ceiling so I am not hampered. For me mobility is the key in a small shop.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 01-13-2018, 02:32 PM
CAMaster Owner

Yea, I have temporary work surfaces, too. I recently acquire a couple of the "centipede" fold-up supports and have pseudo-torsion box surfaces (inelegantly built :) ) to put on them for incidental assembly and (mostly) support for finishing processes...that's in addition to all the places I could stick stuff previously. :)

The nature of most of my stationary tools doesn't lend to mobility, but I absolutely agree that small shops benefit from that greatly and it's a frequent recommendation of mine at SMC.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:17 PM
CAMhead Legend

I put cardboard on the 4 x 8 out feed table for my table saw and the cnc when I'm spraying contact cement. That leaves my other 4 x8 work bench free to route the laminate and keep the little particles away from the open glue. Can't have too many work surfaces.

stinger III x3

vcarve pro
Old 01-16-2018, 11:21 AM
CAMaster Owner

As usual, everyone is an "enabler" and it's going to cost me money. LOL

Seriously, I think I may have worked out how to support the SR-44 in my space without negatively impacting my space utilization for non-CNC work. I have to fiddle with that idea for a few more days, but after I have a conversation with my accountant later in the week, I'll be able to make a final decision.

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM
CAMaster Owner

Yup...I think that's going to work, particularly if I make my bench mobile again so I can get it out of the way for finishing processes.

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 01-18-2018, 08:58 PM
CAMaster Owner

I love it when a plan comes together! Cant wait to see the real thing sitting there.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC
Aspire 9
trommlerjg@gmail.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 01-18-2018, 09:03 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjg View Post
I love it when a plan comes together! Cant wait to see the real thing sitting there.
Me, too, Joe. Pretty exciting. Having spent most of my 38 years in the full time workforce in IT and Telecom, I'm really finding it interesting to have the opportunity to bring some of that tech into my shop. I've also assigned my younger daughter to the "marketing planning team" since she's taking Marketing in school this semester at PSU and a real life experience at home can't hurt. :) (It might hurt me, however...she may kick me or something)

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 PM
CAMhead Friend

I sent in my order for an SR-24 on Friday, and am going to be putting it next to my assembly table. The left side of the CNC table has to be right next to the assembly table, so the left side of the machine will only have a lot of clearance if I build the CNC table top to almost the same height as the assembly table. That's 33" inches.

It would let me work on the end of 36" long boards if I want, but does it seem too high?

If it is too high, if I have access via an open table center, and 40"+ on 3 out of 4 sides sides, how much space will I need on the left side to be able to do maintenance?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:03 PM
CAMaster Owner

Todd, I think you will be fine at that height with the smaller machine because you will not be lifting large, heavy sheets of "stuff" onto it...in fact, 33" is the normal height for the SR-44 I'm waiting on. I have the same consideration around height, however, as I consider leaving my casters on for occasional convenience, but slightly blocking the whole machine off of them for stability. That means about a 5-5.5" raise in height from the standard 33" table height. Even though my max non-tiled size is 48x48, that shouldn't be too bad relative to loading/unloading...my biggest concern will be if I can see what I need/want to see clearly enough. Odds on are that I'll likely remove the casters to keep the normal 33" height, but I will not know for sure until I receive my machine.

For maintenance, based on last week's class, you'll need "some access" both right and left, but you may be able to get to most things with the gantry all the way forward without too much trouble on the Stinger I. That's the machine that Luke from Camaster used for showing us the maintenance points for lube, etc.

Congratulations on your order BTW!

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA

Last edited by Jim_in_PA; 03-19-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:10 PM
CAMhead Friend

My shop's not as fancy as yours is Jim, but placement is easy. I only have one good location left. So today I build by table to 26.5" high. $38 in wood and $8 in screws, but I will have to buy a little more plywood.

It's not as fancy as most, but it's level and solid. I'll still add a Simpson Strong Tie where a 2x6 butts to a width 2x6. Even without a strong tie there are three 3.5" screws holding that together, so it shouldn't move, but it's where I plan to mount a jig for end routing small boards for jewelry boxes. Going to leave the middle box open under the machine for maintenance access.

Now I have to run power, set up some dust collection and compressed air, and be patient. Not sure I want to use the cyclone because it seems silly to run a 5hp motor for hours when I have my old 2 hp harbor freight one sitting around. Might just get a little dust deputy to use with that since I have a pile of Torit filters plus the big Oneida one that came with the cyclone sitting in boxes. Either way, I'm having fun sorting out the details and getting ready for the stork to arrive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180330_174602-756x1008-378x504.jpg (70.6 KB, 36 views)