CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 02:37 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Vertical Slices

This image is from Pintrest, does anyone know how to do this in Aspire?

I've tried creating a model, rotating and slicing. No dice, introduces undercuts.

I've tried exporting the model as a .stl, then importing and positioning. Again, no dice.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vertical slicing.jpg (95.4 KB, 130 views)
Old 02-25-2018, 03:27 PM
CAMaster Owner

My guess is that the individual pieces of the object in the photo were cut separately and then were assembled to the bars on the top-back and bottom-back. This likely may be hard to reproduce in "one piece"...

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 PM
CAMhead Legend

Just make a series of cross sections whatever frequency you want. Then close each off with a straight line.

You can do a 2D cross section of the 3D relief using the measure tool and selecting the cross section option.

-B
Old 02-26-2018, 03:25 AM
CAMaster Owner, (MOD, KOTR)

To expand upon what Brady described, here are a few pictures that may help.
I created a component and added some sculpting to it .
Then with the "Model Cross Section " tool I created the vectors that would eventually become the vectors used to cut out the material.
Let's say, using 3/4" plywood, I would then use those cross sections to cut out the material, knowing that I must keep them in the correct order.

As with anything, there are many ways to do this, and many variations available...

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panel 1.jpg (84.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg panel 2.jpg (89.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg panel 3.JPG (71.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg panel 4.JPG (51.1 KB, 73 views)

3-D Modeling
https://carveddetails.com

mm@mezalick.com
Old 02-26-2018, 07:26 AM
CAMhead Legend

Thanks Michael...I was too lazy last night to put up pictures..but that's about all there is to it kids...

-B
Old 02-26-2018, 11:18 AM
CAMaster Owner

when looking at the op's picture, it appears that the front edges have the topographical style waveforms for sure. but the back edges look like they are not just straight but also have curvatures. guess you would just apply the same concept to the back edges? then after cutting them separately, assemble them onto top/bottom rails as Jim suggested?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:33 PM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
when looking at the op's picture, it appears that the front edges have the topographical style waveforms for sure. but the back edges look like they are not just straight but also have curvatures. guess you would just apply the same concept to the back edges? then after cutting them separately, assemble them onto top/bottom rails as Jim suggested?
Yep. I can't see any evidence of it being done with a 3D machining method. The leading edges appear to be square...

Everything is just a 2D cut out. As far as the back, use another relief that emulates the shape and marry that cross section vector to the corresponding front...or just wing it via node editing to get something close enough. I doubt anyone will balk about the back not being 'exact' - these types of designs offer a lot of leeway in the process.

-B
Old 02-27-2018, 11:09 AM
Camaster Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnnyCNC

I can see how it could be done on a 3d topography map but it would take quite a while. Using cut by vector you could slice the pattern in many places and remove those parts that you wanted out. Then save each "slice" you've left as a separate STL file, import them individually back into another copy of Aspire and lay them flat on a sheet to cut out.

I can't see a real purpose for that (maybe for your kid's school project) but I believe I could do it.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:22 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

I see it as a 2d cut profile much like cutting frames for a boat, 2 sections offset as needed

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 02-27-2018, 12:49 PM
CAMaster Owner

I can do this quite easily in Enroute, but I've been trying to get away from Enroute and use only Aspire.

I sliced an apple in Enroute and rendered the results . (see attachment) It will show the original model in yellow, the wire frame in blue and a model of the results in red. Also, it makes the slices and numbers them.

I didn't know that the measure tool options in Aspire hid the little cross section tool, so it can be done, its just a little more cumbersome.

What would really be cool besides the obvious artwork would be to make orgaic shapes into bookcases or cubbies. I'm going to try it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apple Slices.jpg (94.5 KB, 27 views)