CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2018, 12:56 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Using ballnose oramask 813??

Hey guys,

I am trying to make a sign that looks like a brick wall being punched through. I want to see if anyone has used Oramask 813 with a .25" ballnose. I was thinking about painting the whole piece of MDF dark red and then once it has fully dried lay the Oramask 813 over the surface. Then come back with the ballnose and cut the brick pattern. I am hoping that the ballnose will leave clean lines so I could paint the motor a light brown and not have to do any touch ups for paint that leaked. I would be using spray paint from home depot. Anyone try something like this before? Or have any advise?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 03-31-2018, 04:27 PM
CAMhead Legend

I don't think it will turn out the way you expect. Instead, consider this method:

1) Route the grout lines. I've used either 3/8 or 1/2" rounded corner end mills for this. Matches grout lines very well.

2) Clean and paint the grout lines.

3) Using a short nap roller, apply brick red paint to the surface being mindful not to overload the paint roller or push too hard.

Without seeing a conceptual sketch, it's hard to suggest more.

-B
Old 03-31-2018, 07:32 PM
CAMaster Owner

Brady,

Thank you for the advice. I will give your method a try. Attached is a picture of the design I was thinking about. For the 3d break off pieces, i was just doing to see about cutting them out 2d and the sanding an angle on back and then nail to top of board. Not sure how that will look for 3d, but I only have Vcarve pro. I plan on making opening light up where mario will be jumping through. Let me know if you have an additional advice after seeing the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mario image.jpg (13.7 KB, 39 views)