CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Panther Series

Old 04-19-2018, 02:37 PM
CAMaster Owner

Ok, might be a silly question, but you said you surfaced the spoil board and all went well. Have you in fact checked that the surface is flat? Go to Z0 in one corner and check with a 123 block and then leave the Z alone and move around the table and recheck with your 123?

Next check would be to make sure all things are tight.

Stinger I SR24 11/27/17
Performance package Pro:
2" Gantry Lift
FTC Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
Counter Balance
Tee Track Table
Kent Dust Shoe
WinCNC
Aspire 9.5
Rhino
Old 04-19-2018, 04:19 PM
Stinger II Owner

Just thinking.
If mechanical given all the movement you have seen you might try to mark shafts and gears for movement?
Old 04-19-2018, 05:35 PM
CAMaster Owner

TimPa,
Initialize is zeroing the XYZ axis and by PERFECT what I mean is that the tip of my tool is touching my 123 block but not scratching it when I move it. Also, tech support is pretty set on this being a static electricity issue, so I'll be installing additional ground from the PT408 to the floor and also from the dust extractor line to the building frame, away from the machine. I'll update this as soon as I can test it after. Spoil Board is pretty darn flat, checked with a dial indicator mounted to gantry. After we do the ground I'll try marking gears.

Last edited by ruun96; 04-19-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:16 PM
CAMhead Legend

You mentioned grounding the Panther to the floor..... if you meant you were going to drive a new ground rod in, i would suggest a different approach. Tie the new Panther ground to the building frame you mentioned. That frame should be tied back to the main electrical panel and that's where your ground rod is connected. Best not to introduce ground loops by having multiple earth grounds.

The step and direction cable for the motor has a long distance to travel. Make sure the shield (hopefully braided) is properly connected on both ends. Also, you could ask Camasters if they were supposed to install ferrites (cylinder that the cable loops through) on this cable. I use them on any low voltage fast switching lines and they do help a lot with noise.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:52 PM
CAMaster Owner

Hefty,
By the time I got your message the deed was already done, new ground rod tied to the frame of the machine. In the process I discovered our maintenance guys had neglected to reconnect the ground to my air compressor when they moved it to make room for the Panther. I ran a 3 hour program this morning with things being grounded and got good results. I'll run your suggestion by my electrician about the ground loops and step cables.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:20 PM
CAMaster Owner

You might try backing off the Z axis acceleration setting. If you lose a step each up and down and your program is really long, it could add up. Slowing the rapid ups and downs might help.

Easy to prove/disprove the static theory: run it with no material and no collector running and see if it gives the same result.
>Pen Marking Tools
Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Metoo

I cut PVC and use a vacuum table. Being new to cnc I had no idea that this would be an issue but we talked to tech support , we added a copper coated 6ft ground rod to the cnc machine and a separate one to split on the vacuum and dust collector. Hopefully these keep it down but after cutting 10 sheets this afternoon it at least seems like the problem has been fixed.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:59 PM
CAMaster Owner

JRam', cutting plastics on any tool is fraught with static electricity "fun"...nature of the beast. Fortunately, thoughtful grounding can help mitigate it.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 06-19-2018, 10:38 PM
CAMaster Owner

I guess I spoke too soon , the issue always arises when changing material thicknesses and eventually through resetting all the parameters a few times it would normally just magically come back, but today it didn't... t1 wont even allow me to touch top it crashes into the pad now like it's not even there. I had to resort to picking tool 3 and using t3 and then manually marking z level on material surfaces to be able to finish a job today. This has been an on and off again issue since the machine was delivered but the first few times I assumed it was a me issue, then I worked with tech support and we went through the 1000 things it isn't and they pinned it on a grounding issue but now with a 6ft ground rod installed with no dust collector even running and not even using the vacuum hold down t1 will not level.... I'm pulling what little hair I've got left out on this machine.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:42 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Call CM in the AM, you got a wire loose or a new owner bug, if you want call me and i can show you some simple test, I should be at work after 830 or so.

I use the machine bed as my Z Zero, the only reason to set z on top is carving 2.5 d, all my 2d panels work is off table , there is no resetting

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

Last edited by james mcgrew; 06-19-2018 at 10:44 PM.