CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default In-shop Location Space Question for Stinger 1 & II

Part of the decision process for bringing a CNC machine into my shop is physically locating it. Camaster has provided a "prepping" guide for one of the configurations I'm considering and they recommend what is certainly a universally ideal suggestion that there be a minimum of 36" inches of access on the sides and back and appropriate space to the front for loading material. As much as I'd like to embrace that ideal, it's not physically possible to do so in my shop. My question is basically if most favorable access is limited to one side (left) and the front, will I run into major usability issues? I don't intend to acquire the lathe capability and that hangs off to the right anyway, as far as I can tell.

Comments? Suggestions? Condolences? :) (Thanks in advance for something in one of those categories, preferably from the first two)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 PM
Stinger II Owner

I have mine near to two walls, can't really crawl into the gaps. I have never regretted it. If I would have bought the stinger 1 because of a concern over space, that would have been wrong for me.

My compromise in spite of very good wisdom that would tell you not to, I put wheels on mine. Once and awhile I have to pull it off the wall to do turnings, or to cut something over 6.5 feet long. I have cut up to 14 foot wall panels.

I also special ordered the table to be shorter than the table saw so it is my outfeed table too. You don't need to special order but it helps if the top of the CNC is below the table saw.

Check out the first post or so for a photo.
http://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=3912
Old 01-11-2018, 10:41 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Jim....
Mostly condolences, because like me on my first two relocations (at about $1.5k electrical per move) I didn't think I needed the minimum room either. Eventually, and only because I was determined to provide the proper environment for successful operation, did I make the space for "the process" rather than just "the tool".

I've been in over a hundred shops helping users develop their process or products. In the beginning most woodworkers don't understand the process or how integral the CNC machine will be to it. IMHO, that is why they insist on poking a new CNC machine in a corner, then sadly, they leave it there while walking around a number of less productive, less often used and surely less expensive pieces of equipment.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 01-11-2018, 10:45 PM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
IMHO, that is why they insist on poking a new CNC machine in a corner, then sadly, they leave it there while walking around a number of less productive, less often used and surely less expensive pieces of equipment.
Gary, I didn't think about it that way but as you stated most CNC machines are in a corner.
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:08 AM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks Charlie, Gary and Mick. This pano somewhat distorts the view and makes my shop look a little larger than what its 22'x30', minus the stairwell and DC/Compressor closet actually is, but the CNC will likely go in the area back-left, just past the miter station. What's on the wall there would get moved. Somewhere. Yea...it would be in the corner. :) Maybe I can find a way to avoid that, but it's going to difficult and disruptive...my regular tools are not going away and the CNC doesn't replace them.

While I did a recent rearrangement of some things to gain more assembly and finishing space, I have to be careful about the effect of the new machine on that. The slider cannot move because of the total span it requires for full movement of the wagon. I theoretically could remove the miter station, but that cantilevered setup has been there since day one and is a substantial construction that was costly to build. So I'm left with a space that's about 60" wide (hard to see) from the end of the miter station to the back wall. The CNC would be parallel to the back wall with the right side close to it. I'd have almost full access to the left side and completely full access to the front "business end" of the machine. I'll be wall mounting the monitor, keyboard and rodent...and probably the controller PC.

Charlie, intrinsically, I personally like the ideal of mobility, but I've also clearly heard the advise of others that it can also come with "issues". And my floor is sloped since the building was original constructed as a 3.5 vehicle garage by the previous owners...I like work surfaces level.

I'll take a better photo of "the area" today when I go out to continue work on my current commission.

Last edited by Jim_in_PA; 01-12-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 AM
CAMaster Owner

Sweet looking shop, Jim!
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC
Aspire 9
trommlerjg@gmail.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 01-12-2018, 03:59 PM
Cobra Owner

Jim,
I have my 4x4 machine in a small room by itself, and I haven't had any issues with clearance. Keep in mind, though, that I don't work with sheet goods. The room is 11 ft. wide by 18 ft. long. I have 31 in. clearance to the gantry on the left side and 26 in. clearance to the gantry on the right side. See attached picture. I feel perfectly comfortable walking along the sides of the machine while it is working. I could probably do with a little less clearance. You just have to be aware of tool changes and not get in the way. It takes off at G0 speed, and your body WILL NOT slow it down.

Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cnc_room.jpg (95.5 KB, 87 views)
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 01-12-2018, 04:43 PM
CAMaster Owner

I think I may have this figured out...since I can conceivably use the CNC bed as an additional flat surface to put things on while doing glue-up, etc., I can put it in the similar position to where my bench is in the following photo, but with the bad side right to the wall. I can revert back to wheels for mobility on the bench with adjustable feet to stabilize when I need to do hand-tool work. The MFT does that function a lot right now and I can just keep it folded and stored unless I truly need to use it. This arrangement will allow for the "suggested" 36" minimum clearance on left, front and right sides at all times and shorten the requirement for the 10/3 wiring in a meaningful way. (The existing machine circuit in that area is only 20 amp and not suitable for the CNC machine) I already have both air and DC overhead there, too.

I gotta bounce this around in SketchUp, but it's looking promising. :) Yea, I know....putting things on the CNC bed is a travesty and takes it out of service, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do with what you have to work with. :)

Last edited by Jim_in_PA; 01-12-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:15 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Jim...
Of course I NEVER did this, but "my friend's son" said: Why is your crap on my $30,000 work table?
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 01-12-2018, 08:26 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
Jim...
Of course I NEVER did this, but "my friend's son" said: Why is your crap on my $30,000 work table?
ROFLOL!!!

Don't worry, my slider gets occasionally used to support panels with drying finish and the outrigger occasionally hosts a workpiece that I'm doing layout work on when my bench is otherwise occupied. Any port in a storm... ;)