CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The CAMhead Locker Room! > T.R. McMunn

Old 06-09-2018, 09:46 PM
CAMhead Friend

Question Making my 3D pop!

I am designing a sign with a 3D spartan helmet in the center. However, I only know how to have it inlayed in the wood under the surface. What I would like to do is have the helmet rise above the base of the rest of the sign. someone mentioned zero plain but I'm stumped on how to utilize it. Let me be clear I have everything else under wraps I would just like to raise the helmet above everything else on the Z axis. Is this a simple fix or are we talking a whole revision of the sign?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:17 AM
CAMaster Owner, (MOD, KOTR)

There are a few was to accomplish what you want to do.
#1....make your model of the helmet be at the top of the material..as shown in the attached picture.
When you create your toolpaths, choose material boundary..This will cut everything, leaving the helmet standing proud.
#2,,,You could cut the helmet separately and then create a shallow pocket toolpath in the original material and "inlay" the helmet into that, having the helmet standing proud....

I sure there's a least one more way, but this should give you some food for thought.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg above.JPG (90.1 KB, 62 views)

3-D Modeling
https://carveddetails.com

mm@mezalick.com
Old 06-10-2018, 09:36 AM
CAMaster Owner

I was actually playing with this kind of thing last night in VCarvePro. My struggle was getting the "right" position of the model within the material thickness to best blend with the pocketed area that the model would reside in. I'm almost leaning more toward the second method that Michael mentions...doing a separate appliqué and gluing it into a pocket. This also makes things a little easier if you want to texture the base, too.

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 06-10-2018, 10:50 AM
CAMhead Legend

Here's one more way...

Aspire/VCP is a bit weird when it comes to creating reliefs that reside below the zero plane. You are going to be limited in VCP getting where you want to be, so these instructions are for Aspire only:

1) Create a Zero plane by clicking on the icon in the relief creation tab. This Zero plane *MUST ALWAYS* be at the top of the component stack or you'll get frustrated and it'll never work out.

2) Draw a suitable closed vector shape for the dished area you want to create. You might want an oval or circle depending on what look you are going for. Create a dish shape using the Create Component from Vector Shape tool. Select the dome shape at the top. Make it deep enough to get your relief (in step 3) fully below the zero plane. That means if your relief is .25" thick you want to paste in the middle, make it something like .3125 deep or more since the sides will curve up. You may have to do step 3 first, then go back and change the depth. You will enter a positive number and choose Subtract "U" as the combine mode. Make this the 2nd component in the stack.

3) Import the relief you want to be proud in dish. You may have to scale it to get it low enough to not be above the zero plane. Look at the reliefs in 3D view from the X or Y sides to see if it is prairie doggin'...if it is, scale the Z on this relief using the tool in the 3D creation tab. Make this the 3rd component in the stack.

4) When you're happy with how it looks, click on the 'Make Component from Visible Relief (make sure all 3 are in fact visible) and now you can turn off the other 3. Use the new relief for toolpathing. If you have to go back and change anything, you can still mod each as needed.

Good Luck! I am sure there is a Vectric video on how to do all this somewhere, but I am not 100%. I learn by doing...

PS - Extra credit: If you don't want the 'proud' relief to appear sunken in, create a complimentary positive dome, trim it to the shape of the center relief and bend the relief back up. Then check to make sure it isn't above the Zero plane in the 3D view...adjust as needed.

-B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HowItWillLook.jpg (60.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg HowItLooksToolpathed.jpg (60.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg ToolsYoullUse.jpg (34.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:47 AM
CAMaster Owner

If anyone has noticed that I've not offered up any advice on this, considering it's posted in my locker, it's because this is all way beyond my skill level. I would likely hand-carve it. I'm nowhere near smart enough to "model" anything.
I learned a long time ago "IF you don't have a good answer to a question, just keep your pie-hole shut!"
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 06-10-2018, 12:40 PM
CAMhead Friend

This gives me a lot to work with, thanks everyone.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:56 PM
CAMaster Owner

I like doing a recess and gluing the model in. That way you can make the model out of a different wood than the base and control the depths on it. I've done a few of these and they seem to be a hit. I'm working on a new one right now that I will post when it's done.

Michael M. helped me with one of the models and it turned out great.

Mark