CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers

Old 03-10-2017, 02:16 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Stinger II used vs new question

Hi guys,

I've got one question for anybody who could answer it. I'm settling on picking up a Stinger II SR-34 or SR44, but not sure if I should order a new one or try to find somebody looking to upgrade and pick up a lightly used 2 or 3 year old machine. Can anyone tell me what might be different (outside of options), have standard motors, control boards, anything else been upgraded over that time on new machines? I'm just trying to see if there were changes I should be on the look out for that may have been upgraded to add new features or say motors that were found to be too small or under powered or something that I may want to consider?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:18 PM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

Camaster keep improving and upgrading there products.
Contact Camaster for the difference between old and new.
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 9 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:01 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Martin View Post
Camaster keep improving and upgrading there products.
Contact Camaster for the difference between old and new.
Thanks Mick, I have emailed and called a bunch over the last couple weeks and the phone rang off the hook to. Oth the sales and support lines and emails to both haven't been returned as of yet. If they had I may have already bought a smaller machine. You guys have just been so fast to reply on the forum, I almost haven't noticed the lack of response on CAMaster's side. Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Stinger II Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Hi guys,

I've got one question for anybody who could answer it. I'm settling on picking up a Stinger II SR-34 or SR44, but not sure if I should order a new one or try to find somebody looking to upgrade and pick up a lightly used 2 or 3 year old machine. Can anyone tell me what might be different (outside of options), have standard motors, control boards, anything else been upgraded over that time on new machines? I'm just trying to see if there were changes I should be on the look out for that may have been upgraded to add new features or say motors that were found to be too small or under powered or something that I may want to consider?
Justin, my machine is from 2012. I recently added the only upgrade that I have thought was of interest. My machine came with an FTC built using an aluminum touch pad. I wanted to have the switch rather than the pad so I bought that from CAMaster. Yes, the stepper motors are larger, but not because of quality or need. Mine work great for the work I do. Not in production but when they run they would perfect, just as expected, or better.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:26 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
Justin, my machine is from 2012. I recently added the only upgrade that I have thought was of interest. My machine came with an FTC built using an aluminum touch pad. I wanted to have the switch rather than the pad so I bought that from CAMaster. Yes, the stepper motors are larger, but not because of quality or need. Mine work great for the work I do. Not in production but when they run they would perfect, just as expected, or better.
Oh, does that switch work better for you? I'd assume any of those aluminum pads would take a beating over time just with the points of bits hitting them. Never asked or heard of anyone's opinions of pros and cons.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Stinger II Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Oh, does that switch work better for you? I'd assume any of those aluminum pads would take a beating over time just with the points of bits hitting them. Never asked or heard of anyone's opinions of pros and cons.
I haven't done an analysis. Mostly I wanted something nice and soft for the tools to touch. It works without any fuss, so did the metal one. Over time, just a touch of a file on the metal plate or changing the touch point center point and the metal one looked like new.