CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger III

Old 12-11-2017, 04:37 PM
CAMhead Guest

Default Stinger 3 servo motor option

Hello,

New to the forum and new to the world of CNC routers. I do however have a good amount of experience with CNC machines in general to get me started in the right direction.

My question is about the stepper motors on a Stinger 3, and how well these motors repeat on multiple passes. This was a concern I had not thought about, but a friend that has built his own router explained that the difference between stepper and servo motor is night and day.

Can someone clear up the confusion for me as far as stepper motor repeatability, and how well a servo motor would compete. I'd also like to know if the Stinger 3 can be upgraded to the servo motors.

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Best Regards,
Naff
Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Naff...
In the vast majority of cases most users that purchase a Stinger will see no issues. Assume a tolerance of .002 that increases with excessive load. There are tens of thousands of machines cutting every day with steppers. The operators job is to keep the loads within the machines capabilities. Of course those capabilities are higher with higher powered servos.

Yes, you can upgrade a Stinger to servos >>> Its called the Panther
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 12-12-2017, 01:33 PM
CAMhead Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks Gary, exactly the information I was looking for. I found it hard to believe so many machines would be sold with steppers if they weren't reliable when used correctly.

Another concern is the spindle I choose. When it comes to wood working and spindles, it's hard for me to make a connection between what I'm used to on CNC's designed to machine metal. I know a manual Bridgeport mill's spindle motor has 2 1/2 hp normally. Is it necessary to upgrade the base router on a stinger 3 for long cycle times cutting wood?

Thanks Again!
Old 12-12-2017, 01:50 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

I would always upgrade to a spindle. A 1.7kw (2.2 hp) spindle has at least double the actual horsepower of a "3.5 hp" hand held router. The spindle is rated for continuous use and the router not.

The only people that will tell you they will do the same job are the ones that have not owned a spindle
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 12-12-2017, 01:56 PM
CAMhead Guest

Gary you're the man! Thanks for the quick response.
I'm sure ill be back soon with more rookie questions!

Old 12-12-2017, 07:55 PM
CAMaster Owner

We are in month #6 with our Panther and have been very pleased with everything. While keeping in mind I am still a newbie, two upgrades we made I have been so grateful for are the ATC and the 5HP spindle (have to have the 5HP for ATC). The spindle, not only more powerful, is so much quieter than our table mounted routers. If you can swing it, the ATC is worth every penny.
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0

On order:
Cobra Elite 5 x 10 ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

"You never learn anything by doing it right."
If that were true, I would be one of the most intelligent people you would ever meet.