CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers

Old 01-02-2016, 06:48 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Z Axis Dive

I'm having a problem with my Z-Axis suddenly making a dive for as low as it will go.

My Machine:

Stinger with Recoil
Mach 3 CAM
Aspire 3

I'm building the file in Aspire, simple lettering and then toolpath using the V-carve / Engraving function.

The first time it almost completed the pass and then dove all the way through the material and into the table.

The second time it didn't make it nearly as far, and same thing, dove for the deck... this time the material was much thicker and it wouldn't go through.

It buries the bit deep enough that I can't lift the bit out under the machine's own power, I have to turn it off at the control box (to release the stepper motors) and then manually lift it.

I don't seem to be having any problems with the X or Y Axis.

Anyone seen anything remotely like this?!

Thanks,

Dave
Old 01-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

yes are you setting z

on top of material

or on top of spoil board

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 01-02-2016, 07:08 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
yes are you setting z

on top of material

or on top of spoil board

Top of the material. I also paged through the .tap file and there isn't a Z value greater than .125 (as it's supposed to be).
Old 01-02-2016, 07:12 PM

If machine is calibrated from top of spoil board (Z) and material z is on top of material it will cut into the table

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
Old 01-02-2016, 07:24 PM
CAMhead Friend

File is set up to Z to the top of the material. That's how I've always done it (since I'm usually carving into material, never through it).

Then I always use the touch off pad (on top of an area of the material that isn't going to get milled since I almost always have a tool change) to Zero the Z.

It's doing something unusual and unexpected (as opposed to the dozens of times I've done the exact same thing).

Some thoughts of what it might be:
Gear slipping in the Z axis?
Mach 3 setting?
Z Stepper motor?

I guess I'm at a loss on how to troubleshoot it.

Tomorrow I'll try re-writing the file from scratch in Aspire to eliminate the possibility that the machine is actually doing what Aspire is telling it to do, but after that I'm at a loss on how to troubleshoot.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:29 PM

I know little to nothing about mach, sounds like an older machine ?

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
Old 01-02-2016, 07:50 PM
CAMhead Friend

Not too old... I specifically requested Mach because so many people in the area use it.

Another thought... if the Z-Stepper looses power the Z-Axis would sink, and with the bit still spinning it would cut into the material, until the X or Y tries to move and catches on the shank of the material where there's no cutting edge.

Seems like that's what it's doing. I wonder if it's something as simple as a loose connection to the stepper motor?

I just checked the machine and the stepper motor is still solidly mounted... I guess tomorrow I'll check connections, and make sure the rack and pinion teeth are meshing correctly.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 AM
CAMhead Friend

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I'm having the same problem.
9 times out of 10 everything works great, but 1 of 10 times when I start the job (after doing Measure Tool, and Touch Top / manual zero Z) the bit will plow right through the material. It REALLY sucks when it's a nice piece of material and within 1 second it's completely ruined.
I use a Stinger I, WinCNC, and vCarve Pro.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Camaster Owner

In winter time there seems to be more strange things happen. I would suggest looking at your grounding especially along the dust collection. I use to have all kinds of strange things like this until I ran a bare copper wire inside my dust collection tube all the way from one end to the other. I termite it to the dust collector and run it in the tube to the CNC. I do not ground it on both ends but just on the dust collector. The CNC end just stays inside the plastic tube. I have ground it on both ends ... yes some think this is bad but in my setup the power all terminates right beside each other, worked fine for me ... .

My only point is with the winter time static is a huge issue especially inside a plastic pipe with fast moving particles.
Aspire 9, Photo w/Cut-3d, CPP
30W Fiber Laser
TDS Control Keypads - Inventor of the TDS/KRS Keypads
www.krscorporation.com for keypad support home
YouTube Videos
Old 01-23-2017, 11:56 AM
CAMaster Owner

CAMaster Logo

I am certainly not the expert but when I first started using my machine I used the touch top for Z zero on the material. Sometimes it would work and others it would not which I know is user error. Over time I noticed that most of the gurus on here use Z zero at the bottom of the material or spoil board Z zero. Michael at support commented one time that he did the same since it was easier for him to work. I have been using Z zero at the bottom of my materials since to include Z zero at the center of my lathe. I may get a Z+ error now and then which is my error, but I know I won't drill into my spoil board. I have not used my touch top since.

As for the static electricity in the winter, if you don't add moisture to maintain around 40% humidity the potential for static goes up. Humidity can drop to 10% in the winter which is bad for people, furniture, wood floors and cost to heat. I am sure most already know but for those that don't. I grew up in Canadian winters with coal furnaces and radiators which use water but it does not humidify the house it is like being in the desert. Cheers.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net