CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers

Old 02-27-2017, 09:01 AM
Camaster Owner

You don't have to zero off the top of the material when using double sided tape , you can if you want to . What you need to do when using double sided tape and z-zero at spoilboard is make sure you have an accurate measurement of the overall material height including double sided tape from spoilboard to top of material . that is the measurement that should be input in V-Carve for material thickness . For example , if I am cutting through a .250" thick workpiece and I have it double side taped to the spoilboard with z-zero set to the spoilboard and my overall thickness with the double sided tape is .265" , I enter .265" as material thickness in V-carve , when working out my tools paths I would enter .250" as depth of cut in v-carve . I do a lot of cutting with .125 or thinner woods and I usually always work with z-zero set to spoilboard , I use double sided tape most of the time for thins . An accurate measurement must be input for overall thickness when material is on the table and using spoilboard as z-zero.

Stinger I
Performance Pkg
Slotted table
WINCNC
Aspire 8.505
Porter Cable 2.25
CAMaster Stand
KRS USB Keypad

I've got to many clamps , and sometimes they are not enough

Last edited by adirondak5; 02-27-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:20 AM
CAMhead owner

Default Double Sided Tape

Herb -
You do not need to use double sided tape to hold anything. I am going to tell you about a way to hold anything to an mdf spoiboard and the part will never move but be very easy to remove when it is cut.
Essentially, use blue masking tape! Put a couple of pieces of masking tape on the table. Make sure it is down. Now, put matching pieces on your part and make sure they line up when positioning the part. Once you are satisfied with the match the next step is to dribble a small amount of extra thin superglue down the middle of the masking tape. Immediately put a weight on the top of the part. Let it sit for 3-4 minutes and you are ready to cut! The reality is you cannot move the piece laterally. But when you want to remove the cut piece simply pry in an upward direction. The piece will come off the spoil board easily. The blue masking tape can be removed from the table and part. Notice there is no residue or anything to clean up.
I am certain that you will not believe that this works. I waited several months to try it because I could not see how it could possibly work. But, when I finally tried it I realized that double stick tape is a thing of the past. I have never had a part move. It changed everything in using the CNC. Try it, you will love it! Let me know how it works for you!
FTC, Laser
1.7KW spindle
VCarve Pro 8.5
Aspire 9
Windows 10
www.wellsguitars.com
www.baystateguitars.com
Old 02-27-2017, 09:28 AM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
Herb -
You do not need to use double sided tape to hold anything. I am going to tell you about a way to hold anything to an mdf spoiboard and the part will never move but be very easy to remove when it is cut.
Essentially, use blue masking tape! Put a couple of pieces of masking tape on the table. Make sure it is down. Now, put matching pieces on your part and make sure they line up when positioning the part. Once you are satisfied with the match the next step is to dribble a small amount of extra thin superglue down the middle of the masking tape. Immediately put a weight on the top of the part. Let it sit for 3-4 minutes and you are ready to cut! The reality is you cannot move the piece laterally. But when you want to remove the cut piece simply pry in an upward direction. The piece will come off the spoil board easily. The blue masking tape can be removed from the table and part. Notice there is no residue or anything to clean up.
I am certain that you will not believe that this works. I waited several months to try it because I could not see how it could possibly work. But, when I finally tried it I realized that double stick tape is a thing of the past. I have never had a part move. It changed everything in using the CNC. Try it, you will love it! Let me know how it works for you!
You still need to account for the tape
Old 02-27-2017, 10:27 AM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Kyle..
The important thing to remember is that tab thickness is related to the bottom of the cut, not bottom of material. If your material is .06, your cut depth .075, and tabs .020, the best that the tabs could be is .005
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 AM
Camaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
Herb -
Sylvan , I have tried the masking tape super glue method before , it does work , but I don't like that method . While I do use super glue , I use it as little as possible , I just don't like it , the smell , the reaction with paper towels(heat and smoke) . I once wiped some spilled super glue with a paper towel and it stuck to my fingers and started smoking and burned my finger tip pretty good . I've never had any problems with the double sided tape I use . I do know quite a few folks that use the masking tape super glue method and they swear by it but its just one of those things with me that I just prefer not to do , not to dissuade others from trying it , as it does work .

Stinger I
Performance Pkg
Slotted table
WINCNC
Aspire 8.505
Porter Cable 2.25
CAMaster Stand
KRS USB Keypad

I've got to many clamps , and sometimes they are not enough

Last edited by adirondak5; 02-27-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:43 AM
CAMaster Owner

Hello,

I ran another batch of parts yesterday on some 1/8" thick 5052-H32 aluminum. It came out much better. I used 3 strips of double sided tape to hold the panel. I also reduced the size of the tabs. I made 10 nested pieces in about 25 minutes. I made that same part by hand several months ago and it took a couple of hours for just one. We have the same parts on order from one of our sheet metal fabricators and they won't be here for another 2 weeks. I was able to make them in house over the course of a few hours. The Stinger is really saving me a lot of time. My boss has taken note of it as well and is really pleased with the machine so far.

Thank you again for all the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I try more things on the machine.

Kyle
Duluth, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge ST10