CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC (http://www.camheads.org/index.php)
-   CAMheads Show Room (http://www.camheads.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sons of Anarchy 3D (http://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=7026)

Xray 02-02-2016 10:36 PM

Sons of Anarchy 3D

1 Attachment(s)
Did this one out of yellowheart, pretty large at 16x11". Thick too, 1.25".

Took some time, about 5 hours with a 1 hour roughing pass, carved this pretty deep into the block. Also have about 1 hr hand sanding it. Only finish I used is matte clear coat.

Yellowheart is a cool wood, a little plain looking at first glance, but if you catch the right lighting almost has a brushed metal look. Machines nicely, also very dense and solid.

mike.davison 02-03-2016 01:17 AM

Can practically see the Men of Mayhem sitting around the table. Pretty cool.

Xray 02-03-2016 02:30 AM

Shhh don't tell Jax I made it !

aogtrs 02-03-2016 10:24 AM

Super cool! I've had my plans to make one of those myself.

Nice work--that looks super clean.

Xray 02-03-2016 07:47 PM

Is nice and clean but took some effort to get it that way.

I did a profile pass down to .7 around the entire perimeter to clean up the edges, then spent an hour or so hand sanding to get it close to perfection. Also used a dremel with a little deburring bit to clean up the many nooks and crannies in this design.

sheustess 02-04-2016 09:57 PM

That looks great did you create the 3-D yourself or did you have someone do it for you

Xray 02-04-2016 10:27 PM

Paid file, I forgot where I got it from.
I can produce a rendering like that only in my dreams, but I sure can carve them !

Xray 03-25-2016 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another one is wlanut, this one with a textured background

Charlie_L 03-25-2016 06:48 PM

Looking mighty fine!!

Xray 03-25-2016 11:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks man, I did another one today, I'm on a roll with the textures. After 4 years of CNC this is the 1st time I have done textures, not sure why, But I'm like a kid with a new toy now.

This purpleheart was well on its way to being a top 10 masterpiece for me, but I had an incident during roughing that nearly ruined it. The bit slipped out of the chuck, must have dragged around a bit before it came free. So it dug out some gouges that were below the finishing pass.
Didn't know it at the time, I restarted the roughing, then did the finish. Took about 3 hours, when I cleaned off the dust I noticed the gouges. At first I was ready to toss it in the scrap pile, but especially with the textured background, it really doesn't look to bad with the gouges.

There are at least 3, 1 on the bottom of the globe, one on the head and the most noticeable one to me, right top side of the hat.

Bit felt weird when I was tightening it, I should have taken notice. I removed the collet [after the damage was done] and it was clogged up with dust so I gave it a good wipedown with tool solvent, hopefully am good to go now.