CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Recoil Indexing Lathe (4th Axis)

Old 08-23-2020, 03:06 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Shifting Recoil Lathe to Pocket Further than Material Center

Hi All,

I have spent the past few days reading through every single thread on this topic from pages 1 - 5 of 8. Excellent work, comments, and suggestions that y'all have given!

After a year with my Stinger 2 I am finally going to make use of the indexing lathe. I noticed that moving my spindle to the index lathe in the max x direction puts the bit a little over the center line. My part requires to machine more in the x direction of the material.

My solution is to drill and tap the recoil frame so I can move the recoil bars closer to the CNC work bed. I was thinking of moving it closer around an inch or maybe even have two options. The first 1 inch closer and the other say 1.75 inches closer to give me more room to machine in the x direction relative to the center of the material. I understand and am ok that this will reduce my maximum material diameter I can use.

Any reasons why I shouldn't drill,tap, and move the recoil lathe closer as mentioned above? Have any of y'all done this before? Any other recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-23-2020, 07:28 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

I cannot speak with experience, but as long as there's no issue with clearance, I don't visualize and physical issues. You will, of course, need to change settings in WinCNC so it knows where that recoil moved to, however... ;)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 08-23-2020, 07:56 PM
Stinger II Owner

I wonder if you could drill in for dowel pins in the steel so you could always get it to the same locations?
Old 08-24-2020, 04:19 AM
CAMaster Owner

The only thing Id be cautious about is that the lathe stepper motor cant take too much force. If I have a 3 square piece of stock on it, I can rotate it (skip steps) with my hands with a bit of pressure.

That being said, I did quite a bit of flat machining on some spindles a few months ago. The flat/carved parts are 2 square and have mortises all done as 2D, using A commands to get 0/90/180/270 degrees. I created hand gcode files that called Vectric gcode files after rotating to correct positions. I started with those 3 blanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg D4EC62D0-98A5-4CED-B074-57D7C8F7FC99.jpg (83.1 KB, 41 views)
Aspire

Tags
lathe, recoil