CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Cobra CNC Routers > Cobra ATC's

Old 01-11-2021, 03:20 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Anyone use leveling feet?

I'm in the middle of getting my new Cobra 408 ATC operational and focusing on leveling and stability. Right now it seems that there's enough out of level and unstable that using the leveling feet maybe the way to go. I'm wondering if others have used the leveling feet, what your experience has been, and if you'd recommend them?

Here's a bit more detail on my situation.
  • I'm using a 4' bubble level.
  • I haven't measured but the floor is smooth and appears level.
  • Along the X, the level placed in the middle, needs to wedged up 1/8 on one end and 3/16 on the other.
  • Along the Y one side is level and the other needs the 4' level needs to come up about a 1/8".
  • Only 1 foot is fully flat on the floor. A second is mostly on the floor. The bulk of the feet are only touching on one corner or a small portion.
  • One foot is completely off the ground by a full 1/4". Oddly it's a middle foot.

The manual says you can be a 1/16 if so I'm assuming 1/8 means I need to do some leveling.

I'm a little worried about the leveling feet because the feet on the Cobra come out to the side like and L and the hole for the foot is in the arm of the L and not directly under the post.

Thoughts,
William
Old 01-11-2021, 10:21 AM
Cobra Owner

I just set it in place on the concrete floor, hammered shims under the high feet and went to work. I don't think I ever put a level on it, but I think I'll check it today just for kicks. Heavy duty leveling feet are a good idea if you are concerned.
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 01-11-2021, 06:42 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by de5 View Post
I just set it in place on the concrete floor, hammered shims under the high feet and went to work. I don't think I ever put a level on it, but I think I'll check it today just for kicks. Heavy duty leveling feet are a good idea if you are concerned.
It came with leveling feet so I'm going to assume they are heavy duty enough.

Your approach is exactly what I was hoping for but, I guess, I'm also trying to judge whether my situation is outside of being able to do that or not.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:28 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

we leveled min with a 4 foot level made shims the same size as foot, that was 2012 no probs since

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020
Old 01-12-2021, 10:49 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Leveling shims that span the entire bottom surface of the machines's "feet" will be the best method for leveling a stationary tool of that stature, but you certainly can use leveling feet. In that case, it's best if there's an additional threaded nut on the stud so you can lock the height in place positively so any vibration over time will not cause the leveling foot to rotate. (This assumes leveling feet threaded into the tapped holes on the bottom of the machine feet or any other device that has threading involved)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 01-18-2021, 05:10 PM
CAMaster Owner

I ended up using the leveling feet. It feels a bit unnatural levitating the machine but it was pretty easy to level and now all 6 feet are solidly grounded.

- William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobra leveling feet.jpg (54.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Cobra leveling feet 2.jpg (67.6 KB, 11 views)