CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Router Bits

Old 11-11-2018, 10:46 PM
CAMhead Legend

Default straight flute drill bits / plexi bit

Has anyone ever used straight flute drill bits? They have them on mcmaster for harden steel. I am looking for an alternative to a regular drill bit or what I am currently using: 2 flute mill bits. If I do not watch my speeds they will nest up. The other problem I have with using the end mill bits is there is a small tab left over at the bottom we have to pop out manually which is a PIA. I was also thinking on buying some of those 60 plexi bits and putting a drill collar on them to help break the spiral chip. I am cutting a larger order of ABS (3/16) and it has quite a few holes. Let me know if you have have used either of those set ups (plexi bit or straight flute drill bit) with any success in ABS or similar plastic.
Thanks!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 AM
CAMhead Legend

I use a single flute spiral O to cut ABS and have had good results. I also have used a 2 flute straight O on thinner stuff with good results. One trick with drilling a lot of holes in plastic is to do an inside spiral profile plunge and not a peck drilling operation. Usually with me, the peck drilling produces stringy nests that "spin burnishes" the top of the material.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:43 AM
CAMhead Legend

I was doing the interpolating but with almost 700 holes in a sheet and them being 0.22" - .531" (5 diameters in that range) in diameter, it would take too long with a 1/8" straight flute. All my onion skinning for the larger holes and outside is done with a straight flute 2 edge bit which works great. I started to use end mills and have to turn the RPMs down to 8000 RPMs and peck and seems to work ok. I am just trying to get me speeds up a little because this is a high runner/low profit job so trying to get times down to turn a little more profit.
By the way, I have to tab two of the larger holes and the outside because after the part is cut, there is little to now scrap left. The parts are basically tabbed to each other. my sweet spot for the tab is 0.055 thick and 0.125 long with a 1/8" SF bit. It is onion skinned first with a 1/4" SF bit. When I pop the tabs out, it is clean on my part no needing to address the tabs on the part.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:28 AM
CAMhead Legend

Would a 3/16 bit work better? Just do a quick spiral plunge inside profile cut and not a pocket cut. The tiny bit of plastic left in the center of the larger .5+ holes would be negligible and get sucked up by the DC.
I think I'm confused on what you are actually doing. It is monday you know. ;)