CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2021, 09:30 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Nesting solution for "merging" toolpath files

My current workflow involves designing 3D models and detailing its components in CAD and then toolpathing in VCarve Pro 10.5. These tend to be smaller parts with a bounding box of roughly 4 to 100 square inches in size.

Each component is imported into VCarve and, after toolpathing, saved to its own toolpath file. I repeat the process for each component in the design. This allows me to set my origin anywhere on the material and I can cut a part from areas of the material that might otherwise go to waste or become firewood. This is especially useful for prototyping.

I plan to continue creating individual toolpath files for each component. It's handy to be able to cut a part, revise its design, and then cut it again. However, there are times I think it would be helpful to merge all the toolpaths for a project and let some software nest them. This would allow me to zero on the corner and let the machine cut all the parts at once from a new sheet of material.

Any ideas what I can use for nesting multiple toolpath files to accomplish this? I'm not opposed to purchasing software if that's what it comes down to.

Scott
2020 Stinger II SR-44
Vectric VCarve Pro 10.5
Bricsys BricsCAD V21 Mechanical
Old 02-15-2021, 12:01 PM
CAMaster Owner

It sounds like you need a g-code file to an absolute xy position, do a g92 and then run one of your tap files. Move to another absolute xy position, do a g92 again and then run another file. (m98 command runs an external file IIRC.)

You could probably set up this file manually once. Another option would be to generate the code with a Python script. Relatively trivial to do.
Aspire
Old 02-15-2021, 02:32 PM
CAMaster Owner

Have you looked at toolpath templates? You put each type of toolpath vectors on a different layer. Then anything on that layer can get the same toolpath applied when you pull it up, as long as on the bottom it is set to automatic. There are vectric video's if you have not used that.

After all of that is set up, you can copy, paste, ect anywhere and the layers stay with the parts. Then pull up the toolpath template and calculate in a few clicks.

I used it a lot on cabinets that were basic 2d cuts, but I would think it works in 3d