CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Work we Produce !!!!

Old 02-15-2021, 08:47 PM
CAMaster Owner

Awesome!!!!!!!
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 02-15-2021, 08:54 PM
Stinger I Owner

Gary, Iím totally stunned by your work! I got a kick out of your comment ďI have a vertical jig I made to try to joinery on the Stinger, but it's a bit too finicky for me.Ē Your work looks extremely ďfinickyĒ to me, and I mean that in a good way.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 10, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyiní
brucep128@gmail.com
Old 02-17-2021, 12:14 AM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks again, guys. :) I tell you, the OCD neurons were not happy with the way some things turned out, but I learned years ago that the art of woodworking is learning to hide your mistakes. And there were plenty. Iíve also learned not to point them out!
Aspire
Old 03-06-2021, 01:17 AM
CAMhead Friend

Beautiful heirloom work Gary!

I'm curious how wide the board was for the top? Looking at the grain, I can't see where 2 boards were joined so it looks like 1 really wide board.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:11 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakle2k View Post
I'm curious how wide the board was for the top? Looking at the grain, I can't see where 2 boards were joined so it looks like 1 really wide board.
I cannot speak for how the OP did his work, but I will mention that careful attention when choosing material can often permit a multi-piece panel to appear to be one wide board. Too many folks just glue boards together without spending time (and money) to get the best appearance. A little thing like that can take a very nice project and turn it into a "wow" project. The first step in finishing is choosing the material. ;)

For the record, I'm personally a major fan of using wide material whenever possible. One piece is my goal; two is acceptable; three can be fine for a wider table if necessary. I don't prefer to use a lot of separate boards for a table surface when it can be avoided.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 03-06-2021, 10:13 AM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks!

They were from single pieces of lumber. The rough board was 20 1/4Ē wide. I got them from Chris Vickers at Somerton Ridge Hardwoods. https://somertonridgehardwoods.com/#...1-3e6206791fc6

His prices are really good, and he keeps/gets wide stock especially for CNCers. I met him because one of the Sign Finishing 101 classes was held on his premises. Heís a Cobra owner, and has the most amazing shop setup Iíve ever seen. It was a couple years ago, and Iím still drooling over those tools! If you canít get to VA, youíll have to organize your own motor freight, I think. Heís a member on these forums, but his info is on his website.
Aspire
Old 03-06-2021, 10:15 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Chris is a great source for material! When I was at his place for TR's sign gilding class a couple years ago, I came home with a lot of material. :)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 03-07-2021, 10:37 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE2000 View Post
Thanks!

They were from single pieces of lumber. The rough board was 20 1/4Ē wide. I got them from Chris Vickers at Somerton Ridge Hardwoods. https://somertonridgehardwoods.com/#...1-3e6206791fc6

His prices are really good, and he keeps/gets wide stock especially for CNCers. I met him because one of the Sign Finishing 101 classes was held on his premises. Heís a Cobra owner, and has the most amazing shop setup Iíve ever seen. It was a couple years ago, and Iím still drooling over those tools! If you canít get to VA, youíll have to organize your own motor freight, I think. Heís a member on these forums, but his info is on his website.
Thanks for confirming Gary. I was curious because I've worked with Sapele quite a bit but never ran across a board that wide. Looks like there's a new website on the way for Somerton Ridge Hardwoods so I'll keep my eye out for it.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:38 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
Chris is a great source for material! When I was at his place for TR's sign gilding class a couple years ago, I came home with a lot of material. :)
Great to know, thanks Jim!
Old 03-07-2021, 01:34 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thatís been up for a while. Iíd just call him.
Aspire