CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 03-11-2020, 09:49 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Factory vacuum table setup

I am the owner of a new 4x8 Stinger 3 with the factory vacuum table and 15hp FPZ pump. I am slowly getting this beast set up and am frustrated by the lack of setup documentation for this machine. I have a few questions.
1. First, I have two ports in the factory plumbing. I am guessing the bottom one is for the vacuum. The top one with the pneumatic valve is supposed to stay open and act as a relief valve to toggle vacuum from the software. Is this correct?

2. All of the photos I have found of this are people using the single phase hurricane or similar system and they are often located in another room. Presumably due to the noise they make. While I am under no illusion that a huge 15 horsepower regen blower will be quiet, I would expect it to be less annoying than the four screaming single phase units in a hurricane. Also, the spindle itself will be likely have me wearing hearing protection regardless of the vacuum. So, is there any reason for this to be in another room?

3. Assuming not, is there any reason not to put it under the table? (other than the filter issue in my next question)

4. The one issue I see with it being here is that I can't get the filter housing off unless it is either horizontally mounted or not under the table. I see there are what appear to be drain plugs on the bottom of the filter housing, but I will not be using any coolant so is it ok to mount this housing horizontally?

5. This may sound like a stupid question but I use small vacuum pumps for composites work and virtually ALL of the noise comes from the outlet. So we usually run a long tube away from where we're working to reduce the noise. Does the outlet side of this blower stay wide open or should there be some kind of muffler on it?

Thanks in advance! I've been lurking on this forum for a few months now and found it extremely useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 211202091219.jpg (88.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 03-11-2020, 11:00 AM
CAMaster Owner

I know this is somewhat a "standard response", but have you called in and had a conversation with tech support about your installation questions? They have never failed me when I needed assistance to understand something or fix something. If I could answer your questions, I would, but I'm not familiar with that vacuum system.

Now logically....and from my experience...sound mitigation in the shop is something I find very worthy to pay attention to. Anything you can do to reduce noise or absorb noise is going to make your personal protection work better and enable you to work with less "sound fatigue". Your spindle will be quiet, but the cutter engaging the material will often not be. Having some sound absorbent material on the wall or ceiling will help with that, especially for the harsh high frequencies. Even if the vacuum blower you have is quieter than the Hurricane, it's going to add to the noise level, so isolating it can't hurt. Just remember that the air needs a place to to and if you isolate it in a different space, be sure there is a non-direct path for it to return to the workspace. Non-direct is important for sound reduction. The same is true for dust collection systems. They are noisy. Isolating them reduces the noise footprint. Same for compressors.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 03-12-2020, 10:49 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
1. First, I have two ports in the factory plumbing. I am guessing the bottom one is for the vacuum. The top one with the pneumatic valve is supposed to stay open and act as a relief valve to toggle vacuum from the software. Is this correct?
yes, bottom is to be run to inlet side of the blower. On these blowers, you can have the inlet or exhaust tubes on either side of the pump.(you can have one coming in from one direction and exiting the other if your setup needs it). See manual on how to remove and replace them.

Quote:
2. All of the photos I have found of this are people using the single phase hurricane or similar system and they are often located in another room. Presumably due to the noise they make. While I am under no illusion that a huge 15 horsepower regen blower will be quiet, I would expect it to be less annoying than the four screaming single phase units in a hurricane. Also, the spindle itself will be likely have me wearing hearing protection regardless of the vacuum. So, is there any reason for this to be in another room?
No reason unless you like it quiet in your work area. The scream of the bit is louder than the blower, but it's not always constant. You'll need hearing protection.

Quote:
3. Assuming not, is there any reason not to put it under the table? (other than the filter issue in my next question)
No. BUT, it exhausts alot of heat so you may have trouble with your plenum and spoilboard swelling or shrinking from the temperature change. If you want, just run the exhaust pipe out the end of the machine or thru a wall so it's not directly under the table.

Quote:
4. The one issue I see with it being here is that I can't get the filter housing off unless it is either horizontally mounted or not under the table. I see there are what appear to be drain plugs on the bottom of the filter housing, but I will not be using any coolant so is it ok to mount this housing horizontally?
You can mount it any which way from Sunday (sideways or upside down), but just be sure to get the direction of the flow correct.
It's advised to get a pressure relief valve and filter also. So if something gets sucked up in the automatic gated valve coming out of your manifold, the pump can suck filtered air from somewhere and not implode.

Quote:
5. This may sound like a stupid question but I use small vacuum pumps for composites work and virtually ALL of the noise comes from the outlet. So we usually run a long tube away from where we're working to reduce the noise. Does the outlet side of this blower stay wide open or should there be some kind of muffler on it?.
They do sell mufflers. Also see answer to Q3 above.

My 15Hp FPZ does great on my 5X10 Panther. Of course really small parts are always an issue, so good cutout strategies are always recommended.

This thread has a picture of my setup..........https://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=9663

5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum

Last edited by guitarwes; 03-12-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:58 AM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

RE: #3

Quote:

Yes. Heat. Your pump will not cool properly placed under the table
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 03-12-2020, 12:36 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks guys. Heat is a very valid point and something I had not considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
My 15Hp FPZ does great on my 5X10 Panther. Of course really small parts are always an issue, so good cutout strategies are always recommended.

This thread has a picture of my setup..........https://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=9663
Wes, I had looked at that thread previously and wondered what you did in the end. I believe I have the same parts you do based on your photo with one key difference. You have the more powerful K10 motor and I have the K08 (25hp vs 15hp I think). Yet your relief valve was 7.9" and mine is 11.8".

Looking at the performance charts mine would open right under 15hp. Interestingly, yours also equates to about 15hp horsepower but roughly double the CFM. With 10 more hp left I would expect your valve to be open all the time as you described. Did you end up changing anything?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2122020122034.jpg (90.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-13-2020, 10:55 AM
CAMaster Owner

Mine is a 15Hp motor. I haven't changed anything yet with regards to my relief valve settings as most parts I cut hold really well with the strategies I use to cut them. I hate to munk with something just yet and lose time and my patience.
5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum

Tags
installation, vacuum table