CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Molds, Mold making and Pattern work

Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 AM
CAMhead Legend

Default Mold Making/ Aspire vs VCarve

I recently started making simple molds for Kydex/ ABS forming. VCarve has done the job well since I can draw "flat" vectors and then toolpath at different elevations and different bits to make the simple steps, angles, and cuts I need. The toolpath "preview" shows me very accurately what the final part looks like.
However, recently I was trying to add a few elevation changes and angle cuts and I found it hard to keep it all straight in my head and tweak it correctly. This started me to wonder if Aspire might offer some editing tools that would help with the modeling side. I am importing nothing and do not want to use another design package since I only have ~ 5 designs to complete.
So, would Aspire give me better modeling along with the idea that I could then "carve" the mold vs. toolpathing the vectors.
I have just started going through the Aspire videos but thought some of you might have some quick opinions so I appologize for the premature question.
Thanks, John
Old 09-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Cobra Owner

The only tools Aspire will add are the 3D modelling tools, and that would require you to do a totally different type of toolpathing. 3D toolpaths are slower, less precise, and not as clean as 2D toolpathing, BUT you are able to do much more organic and complex shapes with 3D.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 09-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Far prefer vcarve or pocket/profile toolpaths for text over 3d unless the 3d text is apart of the overall agenda of the piece

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ