CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Router Bits

Old 07-02-2019, 04:16 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default ER25 Torque Wrench & collet questions

I have a Stinger machine and usually use a small 1/8" end mill to cut out parts, production mode.

I have had a few instances where the end mill has come out of the collet (ER25). It has happend with increasing frequency, so I am now looking to replace the collet.

I had a couple of questions:

Is it also usually necessary to replace the nut periodically?

Also, I received a manual wrench with my machine. I have just learned that some experts recommend using a torque wrench to prevent over/under tightening.

From everyone's experience with the Camaster machines, is this overkill? I don't want to spend the $300.00 or so for the wrench and end fitting if not necessary. On the other hand, I don't want to be ruining my collets and/or getting excess runout.

If a torque wrench is recommended, does anyone know of a head I can purchase that will work with a standard Craftsman automotive type torque wrench (that uses sockets)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2019, 05:40 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
I have a Stinger machine and usually use a small 1/8" end mill to cut out parts, production mode.

I have had a few instances where the end mill has come out of the collet (ER25). It has happend with increasing frequency, so I am now looking to replace the collet.

I had a couple of questions:

Is it also usually necessary to replace the nut periodically?

Yes, especially if due to under tightening, bits have come loose

Also, I received a manual wrench with my machine. I have just learned that some experts recommend using a torque wrench to prevent over/under tightening.

From everyone's experience with the Camaster machines, is this overkill?

For the most part, Yes

I don't want to spend the $300.00 or so for the wrench and end fitting if not necessary. On the other hand, I don't want to be ruining my collets and/or getting excess runout.

If a torque wrench is recommended, does anyone know of a head I can purchase that will work with a standard Craftsman automotive type torque wrench (that uses sockets)?

No

Thanks in advance!

See pictures below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ER Torque.JPG (92.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg ER Collets.jpg (92.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Bit in Collet.jpg (78.4 KB, 52 views)
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 07-03-2019, 10:27 AM
CAMaster Owner

I've never had a problem or needed a torque wrench. Good and tight by hand should be plenty. Good collets should be used. If you're having problems, I'd pick up a new nut too, but unless it's damaged, you shouldn't need to replace it. You can damage the collet by not having enough tool in it so only the front is clamping. here are excelent quality ones: maritool.com
>Pen Marking Tools
Old 07-03-2019, 04:10 PM
CAMhead Friend

Thank you Gary, and CosmosK! Much appreciated.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:16 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

Shannon...
If you look at the collet torque chart above, you will see that your ER25 collets require 77 ft. lbs., which is nearly impossible for normal folks to achieve with wrenches as short as they provide. You have to put your back into it, IOW, you cannot overtighten them with the provided wrenches
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"