CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Work we Produce !!!!

Old 10-12-2018, 05:16 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks, Charlie. I hadn't seen that one for some reason, but enjoyed reading it.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 10-12-2018, 10:15 PM
Cobra Owner

That is a pretty long cut time for chair seats. I usually look for 1/2 hour at the most, for 2 sided cuts.

I never use a roughing pass on the seat tops. I cut the profile first, leaving tabs in the joint areas that I can easily cut out later. Then I cut the finish tool path using a 1/2" ballnose as fast as my machine can cut. I start the finish toolpath in the profile cut, so I never have to make a deep first pass. I usually use a 8% stepover, so that puts very little strain on my machine, even cutting 3/4" depth with the finish path. Think of it as taking off only 0.04" per pass, which is a very light cut by any standard. A roughing pass just isn't necessary.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 10-13-2018, 12:20 PM
CAMaster Owner

Russell, thanks for your commentary. In my "copious free time", I'm going to make up another scrap seat blank and try the cut as finish only with a 1/2" ball nose as you note to see if it if works ok. That would result in a pretty big bite for these seats, however, particularly on the outside edges of the bottoms as well as in the deep dish of the seat. If that does cut well for these seats...I make more money. :)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 10-13-2018, 01:32 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Jim...
I cut a number of these "back in the day". The "Neanderthal" that I was cutting for was always going to use his hand tools to finish the blanks, so I was able to use a 1 1/2" core box bit with .1" stepover at around 350 ipm if I remember correctly. (no roughing pass) I did have 5hp so you might need to tone that down some, but its worth a test.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 10-13-2018, 06:23 PM
CAMaster Owner

Another good idea...thanks, Gary.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
Old 10-14-2018, 10:16 AM
Cobra Owner

Jim, here is a copy of a similar chair seat, with my toolpaths to show you how I do it. This is just the top of the seat (I flip it to finish the 'joint' area on the other side, but it uses the same vectors).

If you are making a lot of these seats, it might be good to make up a specific vacuum jig to hold the blank in place. With the surface area, and a good seal around your jig, you will only need 10"hg to hold it in place, even without a roughing pass.

seat file

Anyone interested in chairs can download the above file.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:23 AM
CAMaster Owner

Russell, thanks. I'd like to look at that, but have VCP, not Aspire. Can you export it in .CRV for me? It will be interesting to see if I can make these with just the finishing pass with my 1.7kw spindle and Stinger II. You have a beefier machine than I do.

I'm not setup for vacuum right now, but the fixed jig that my client made works great for now. The four clamps inherent to it tighten down super strong with just a few turns of a (large) hex wrench but also release quickly to reverse the workpiece.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
Old 10-15-2018, 06:17 PM
Cobra Owner

Here is the file in V-carve. Those who downloaded the Aspire file, you will need to delete part of the file extension in order for Aspire to recognize the file - it somehow added 'copy' after the .crv3d the file extension in dropbox!

I am mostly posting this file so that you can see how I arrange some of the cuts to prevent tear-out. I make these seats out of cherry, and the cherry I have has been kiln dried and tends to chip out easily. The 3D finish cut is actually the lightest cut of all as far as load on the spindle goes.

(I am also using a vacuum jig, so some of the pocket cuts are to clear out space for my indexing blocks on the vacuum jig).
Attached Files
File Type: crv Seat top.crv (7.56 MB, 8 views)
Old 10-15-2018, 09:26 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thank you sir! I'll be learning from this file tomorrow for sure before I have to "sanitize" this Mackbook Pro for the battery replacement I scheduled for Wednesday drop off. I need that done before I attend Rodger's sign class in a couple weeks.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA