CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger I (Table Top)

Old 10-25-2017, 03:17 PM
mrramsey

Default Dust Collection for SR24

Any one have a recommendation for a DC for the Stinger I SR24?

Really like the 2 stage collectors and prefer to stay in the 120v spectrum which loosely translated to a 1.5 hp machine. Space is getting tight in the panel. Once I figure this out I can order my stinger.

Was looking at the Jet, Laguna and Grizly cyclones.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
Any one have a recommendation for a DC for the Stinger I SR24?
I have a Grizzly 2HP cyclone. It's fine; does the job. If I were buying a new DC I'd look at Laguna and Oneida. The Jet Vortex looks interesting for a smaller shop or single machine.

2-stage is the way to go.

Consider the largest shop machine needs and size the DC for that. If it's only the SR24 then you don't need a large DC. The size you're considering is good.

Consider where you would place the DC relative to the machines to be connected as the length and type of pipe/hose affects the size of DC needed.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:36 AM
mrramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.davison View Post
I have a Grizzly 2HP cyclone. It's fine; does the job. If I were buying a new DC I'd look at Laguna and Oneida. The Jet Vortex looks interesting for a smaller shop or single machine.

2-stage is the way to go.

Consider the largest shop machine needs and size the DC for that. If it's only the SR24 then you don't need a large DC. The size you're considering is good.

Consider where you would place the DC relative to the machines to be connected as the length and type of pipe/hose affects the size of DC needed.
Yeah, literally the main purpose is the cnc alone though I will hook up my TS when needed. My thought with a machine like the Laguna or the Jet cyclones, was to run maybe 6' of 5"metal duct over head with a short 3-4' drop of 4" flex to the machine with a Kent boot.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:25 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

When I started to build my shop a few years ago I ordered a Laguna through Amazon and they came back with a ridiculous wait time. It maybe a good machine but I would ask for a delivery date and they are in California. I decided on Laguna because it was not too tall for my basement and met my other specs. So I went with my other choice Oneida which was taller and the motor housing fits up in between the floor joists so it is close. I don't move it so no worries.

From the 3hp Oneida Gorilla and I run 26 ga sheet metal duct from 7 -4 inches to all my machines (10) to include my Stinger 1 with a Kent boot. Dust collection works well. I had to pull the antenna out of the magnetic switch enclosure for better function with the remote and I installed a plexiglass window in the steel 45 gal drum so I can see the dust because you cannot trust the sensor. Oneida is American made in Syracuse NY so that was a biggie for me. I also got a discount on the system design and materials since I purchased the DC from them. You sketch out what you want and they send you a complete design with all materials right down to the screws and tape. Be sure to go with steel duct at least 26 ga so it doesn't collapse and you have everything grounded. Electronics do not like static and it may not get you right away but it will cause sensitive parts to fail sooner.

I have Grizzley machines and if you don't buy the low end they do as well as any I think. Their support is fair. I have a Dylos Pro air quality meter always running so I know when to turn the fans up on my air filters. Breathing is important to me. Between Agent Orange and the many other stupid things I have done my lungs are very sensitive to dust. It is the dust that you cannot see that will get you eventually. Some woods are toxic as well.

There is a ton of information on methods to choose a good dust collection system but basically it is a chart of all the ones you are interested or can afford with what is important to you. Do your homework as you are doing on here but go online and read and look at the YouTube videos.

DC in my opinion is one of the most important decisions in the shop and good ones are expensive or you get what you pay for generally. So that is my two cents my friend. Good luck.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 10-26-2017, 01:13 PM
CAMaster Owner

Like Keith, I have the Oneida 3hp Gorilla and I swear by that thing. It is a dust eating machine, made well and in the US to boot. A little spendy, but you do get what you pay for. Highly recommended....

PS...I use the DC ONLY for wood...nothing else. For other materials I use my shop vac and just hold the hose to get the accumulations now and then.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10

Last edited by drummerjg; 10-27-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:23 PM
CAMaster Owner

I ended up with a Clearvue 1800. I had a few others before this and had made some cyclones out of sheet metal. I tried to avoid spending so much ( to me ) on dust collection.

After I installed it and got all the ducting ran to the various machines, I don't regret buying it one bit.
The filters on it are really good, my shop is much cleaner as far as fine dust on surfaces go. My lungs like it better as well.

The only things in your shop are a cnc and a tablesaw? No chop saw or sanding table? Any other things that could benefit from dust collection or plans to add some equip?

Planer, jointer, shaper, drum sander?

I should add that if spacing is getting tight in you r panel, not the actual amp draw. You can put your 120V loads on those double breakers, each bus in a panel can typically handle 125A so putting 2 20A circuits isn't a problem. It may free up the room need for 2 pole breakers.

Or add a subpanel in your shop in a handy place and feed your new equip from there. That way you only need room for the feeder breaker in your crowded panel.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik

Last edited by The real JP; 10-27-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Camaster Owner

I was doing a little research before I bought my dust collector the general consensus was that 2 HP was pretty much the minimum requirement. I bought a 2 HP from Harbor Freight, took it off of the rolling stand and mounted it to the wall. Does a great job.

Jim Williams, CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC
Old 10-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Stinger I Owner

More hp is always better and a cyclone is better than single stage bags. That said, my 1½ hp, 1200 CFM (claimed..) 2 bag Delta 50-850 DC does a good job for me.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 10, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyin’
brucep128@gmail.com
Old 10-07-2019, 09:27 PM
CAMaster Owner

Hello Mike
My old Delta 1.5 hp works just fine on my machine. I have 4 inch metal duct riveted together and every joint is taped. I have it running all over my shop but only use one gate at a time. I also bonded all of my metal duct to electrical ground , to the CNC and to the wire inside my flexible connection houses at my machines.

Good luck with your new machine. My machine is eight weeks old and I am really enjoying it.
Olen
Stinger SR 24 ,stinger stand ,Storm Vacuum ,1KW Spindle ,Performance Plus , FTC ,Laser Crosshairs ,Counter balance , Laser engraver ,Wireless internet connection ,metal duct to Delta dust collector (grounded & bonded).
Old 10-08-2019, 08:15 PM
CAMaster Owner

I went with the HF 1500 cfm. Bought it on sale and with a 40% off coupon. Total cost was about $110.00. Then I built a second stage from plans on the internet and installed a pleated filter from Wynn Environmental. It works really good. If your looking to go cheap this is the way to go. Everything considered, less than $300.00.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 9.5

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-08-2019 at 08:22 PM.