CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The CAMhead Locker Room! > Jim Becker

Old 10-10-2019, 11:09 AM
CAMaster Owner

I decided to re-cut the neck for this build today...there were some things I just didn't like at the interface to the headstock and I wanted to move the break at the heel a little closer to the end of the neck pocket since I'm considering making this a set neck. The one I already cut will not go to waste as I have another body I'll likely mate it with where the things I don't feel work with this body will be less of an issue for me.

It was the same "put in the stripe"..."flip it and cut the top"..."flip it and cut the neck contour on the back" thing as last time. There was a slight onion skin because of a minor variation in thickness, but that sanded out while I was cutting it free from the blank.

[IMG]https://ri9fkg.sn.files.1drv.com/y4muT0-C7q7pgHATiqf9Jda1wYnbLWZn36Qz-UEjKvlmQLqiq69cDTGEBVy1dtNPymNdwLz8UrpQmob3c4JawZE Airmx8GStiYXwTzYoPHr3voVkxI8ptqHvaPCLJj4SbMxS2cWaR g62BsutN69SouMRElJ1MNOLyLq-YL5tvAy_5dtm8eubsFjaXoqLt-7NIXjvARDSRKjfHM3o0YcCPnYhA?width=660&height=660&c ropmode=none
[/IMG]

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-10-2019, 05:52 PM
CAMaster Owner

Looks really nice.
If you need somebody to teach it some heavy songs... send it my way:)

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 10-15-2019, 12:42 PM
CAMaster Owner

Really looks nice.

Jim, do you find the overall heights that you set in Aspire to match your actual final cut workpieces? I cut some pieces with 3D toolpaths a couple weeks ago, and the finished thickness was meant to be .5". The pieces came out closer to .48", and I'm thinking I need to may the difference to the base height of my models. I checked various heights on my machine with a 1x2x4 blocks and those are within a few thousandths. It's not the first time I've noticed this effect.
Aspire
Old 10-15-2019, 08:35 PM
CAMaster Owner

Gary, I occasionally notice some small deviation in cutting but I have not been able to ascertain if it's more about uneven material thickness or the machine. It's minor enough that I haven't worried about it. I don't cut a lot of 3D that has critical depth, anyway. The guitar body carving in this particular build was done using the molding tool path rather than 3D modeling...I wanted to try the technique that Alex Navaros did a YouTube video on recently using the molding tool path and it worked out beautifully for this project. Cuts a lot faster than a model, too.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-16-2019, 10:29 AM
CAMaster Owner

Yeah, I've used the molding toolpath many times. It's great.

I guess I'll just change the way I'm doing these models, and not rely on 3D for actual heights.
Aspire
Old 10-16-2019, 11:10 AM
CAMaster Owner

I'm not in any way suggesting you should live with a problem...I'm only saying that I don't cut a lot of 3D where I even worried about the depth accuracy since the architectural 3D modeled pieces I have done were very tolerant of things like thickness. I suppose it would potentially be a factor with a guitar body, however, since there are some things that are very thickness sensitive, albeit with adjustment from the hardware available.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com