CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Materials we Need !!

Old 05-17-2021, 05:15 PM
CAMaster Stinger II Owner

Met with economists last week and they are projecting continued escalation of pine lumber and panels or at least holding current costs until second quarter next year. If that is the case you will continue to see upward pressure on hardwood commodities like poplar as many small feeder mills are cutting pine instead of hardwoods simply because they are making more money processing pine. Domestic grade hardwood panels are following pine as they must increase prices otherwise the mills will convert to softwood panels. Import hardwood panels are almost completey following the outrageous increases in ocean freight.
Aspire 3.5
Halainc1@gmail.com
Old 05-18-2021, 04:30 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalcathie View Post
pvc pricing is tied to resin shortages... see my response on mdf availability. Most Manufacturers have had multiple price increase this year with versatex increasing twice by 9-13% 5 weeks apart as all manufacturers dependent on resin struggle with escalating costs and limited supplies. This is affecting many industries, heck try to find a new boat to buy! Fiberglass is also dependent on resin.
I don't have any problem getting MDF. It has increased in price a bit, but I don't use it for anything I want to last.

The only resin that's been unavailable to me, is the vinyl ester. The other resins I use, are available at a 8.25% price increase across all container sizes.

If you want a boat, our local marina is stock piled, and the local manufacturers are running full tilt, and hiring new employees to keep up with production.

Now as for a new vehicle... good luck. The Chevy/Nissan dealer has only about 5 vehicles on their lot, and the Ford dealer has 7 trucks. Motorized RV manufacturers are shutting down, due to the chassis shortage. Towables, are all increasing production.

So I'm guessing that I have a fortune in solid surface for the next 12 months or so, based on the assumption that resins are going to be in short supply.

EDIT:

I just checked with my usual supplier. They have...

50- 1/4" sheets
34- 1/2" sheets
15- 3/4" sheets

I asked him to hold 15 of the 1/2" sheets for me to pick up tomorrow.

Last edited by Studio417; 05-18-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:08 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

I live close to a Ford truck plant, there are huge lots miles around stuffed with 1,000's of trucks, they even had a problem with some getting stolen so they had to hire 24/7 security at these lots. I'll take a pic of some later if I remember.
Whatever the cause of supply problems I don't think its production, more likely transport bottlenecks.

Stinger 1
Old 05-18-2021, 05:18 PM
CAMaster Owner

The issue with the trucks is the lack of microchips (the ECM one mainly) to finish out the builds. The major auto manufacturers have thousands and thousands of 99% complete vehicles waiting for chip supply.
Hurricane Vac
Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast
Old 05-18-2021, 05:37 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Hmm yeah I have heard of shortage of chips. All these vehicles drive though, not uncommon to see convoys of them being driven to temp storage, don't think a vehicle would drive or even start up without ECM, but probably something of that nature.

Stinger 1