CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > New Forum Members

Old 06-01-2021, 03:35 PM
CAMhead Guest

Default New here

Hi everyone! My name is Jacob. I'm an industrial tech teacher looking to purchase a Stinger III for my junior high and high school shop class. I've been in the office furniture manufacturing industry for the past eight years.

We have some grant money to spend and days and hours of research kept me coming back to Camaster. Now I just need to decide on the options! I'd like to get some advice and opinions.

Router vs. 3 kw spindle?
Stock table vs. vacuum table?

I think I've decided on the performance package and laser engraver.

Many projects are in my head, but want to be versatile - engraving, routing, and cutting parts out of sheet material. The latter is what leads to the decision between the options above. How do people hold down a part if they don't have the vacuum? Example: Cutting a circle out of a rectangle plywood. The circle would be the finished part and I don't want holes in it.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated!
Thanks
Old 06-01-2021, 03:38 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Welcome aboard, CAMasters sit in many schools around the Nation as they are built to last..

Go Spindle and yes to aVacuum table (You can still have a hold down table ontop)

I have both

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020
Old 06-01-2021, 03:43 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

The best teacher i worked with had a program of Each Student having a personal project for each Qtr or Semester, all students helped each other with the learning curve and ciruculum,

Each class had one project for the school done each Sem or Qtr it was sometimes a book case for the teacher of the year or a display case for trophys. once it was some lockers for the coaches

one year they made the school mascot logo on various wood they found (recycled) and sold them at Sport events to raise money

Dude the fun is just beginning

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020
Old 06-01-2021, 09:43 PM
CAMaster Owner

Lots of question you should think about...
- Cutting mostly sheet goods and large parts - 12"x12" minimum size workpiece? Yes on the vacuum table.
- Just plastic and wood or aluminum too? Might want phenolic
- Production runs, thicker materials, higher speed cutting needed? Ok, 3kW + spindle otherwise 1.7kW should be enough.
- Space or power constraints need consideration especially for bigger spindles and vac pumps.
- Vacuum and dust collection systems are LOUD!
- etc., etc.
Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
VCarve Pro 10.5
Old 06-02-2021, 07:46 AM
CAMhead Guest

gtgmarine, you bring up valid questions.
-I imagine workpiece size would vary greatly, but generally larger than 12x12.
-I don't see us cutting metal.
-We are trying to partner with area businesses and one of them being a desk / chair manufacturing plant. They primarily use particle board with veneer or laminate at 3/4" or 1-1/8" thick. That company also has a bunch of scrap that we could use.
-Not sure the price difference on the 3kw vs the 1.7 spindle?
-Spindles quieter than router?

Kind of thinking that if I get approved for the spindle upgrade and vacuum table, I might as well get them!

Thanks for the thoughts!
Old 06-02-2021, 08:05 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Routers scream and that's on top of other noise. They are also "disposable" as the nature of their universal motors isn't super longevity. Spindles don't...so nearly all of the remaining noise is the sound generated by the cutter engaging the material. Spindles also provide for software control of RPM which greatly enhances versatility...sometimes only a few RPM can make a difference in quality or noise levels.

"Normally", I'd say that the 1.7kw spindle is a good value for a Stinger III (I use one on my Stinger II), but given the nature of your intended and potential uses, I do believe you'd be well served with the 3kw unit, especially if you get into cutting that thicker material regularly. Go with the top Performance Package, too, so you get the gantry lift (helpful for furniture type projects and visibility) as well as the FTC, etc.

Vacuum is pretty much essential if you'll be cutting sheet goods with any regularity, IMHO. Standard vs phenolic is a little harder and the price difference is up there. But the phenolic table theoretically should be more stable long term as it's not susceptible to moisture like the MDF can be over time.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 06-02-2021, 11:44 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

I agree whole heartedly with Mr. Mcgrew's suggestions.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net