CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Materials we Need !!

Old 02-19-2016, 07:14 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Default Home depot wood

Occasionally I scour home depot racks for wood, in particular poplar. Sometimes you find planks with great grain, this was one of them, this will look almost like granite once its carved.

10 ft plank, I wanted half of that at almost $6 a ft, so I had them cut it in half in the back. They guy who cut it promptly spray painted the other half with a purple stripe and tossed it in the 80% off scrap bin ,,,, So of course I grabbed that one too at a nice discount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1209.jpg (85.4 KB, 230 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 09:38 AM
CAMaster Owner

XRAY, I too rummage through the wood racks at HD, Lowes etc for interesting looking pieces...funny that he sprayed it with purple paint as poplar can have a dull purple to it sometimes...I love the look of it...just cut down a poplar at the bottom of our driveway - having it milled in the spring...it's easily 2' in diameter - can't wait to see what it looks like inside! Look forward to your finished product...
Performance Option
Aspire 9
Old 02-20-2016, 11:28 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Yeah, the purplish veins are what I like. It is usually more greenish, which I consider unsightly.
Was surprised he did this, usually they just throw it right back in the sales rack, especially a 5 footer. Saw is right by their break room, was probably feeling a bit lazy and decided on a quick break vs walking back to the poplar rack.

I really wish they'd up their game with species selection, other than poplar I sometimes browse cedar and thats about it ,,, But their cedar boards are often so bowed and/or knotted as to make them unworkable.

This one I did some time back, really lucked out on the grain. I love how the 3d makes it look wavy, and its totally unpredictable.

Last edited by Xray; 02-20-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Camaster Owner

I like to do things in poplar as well, but can't justify $6.00 / foot for it. I get mine from a local sawmill for 1.30 / board foot, which makes it cheaper than clear pine in our area. We use it for most interior parts in our cabinets as a result. It comes rough sawn, so often a surprise to see the range of colors that comes out when you plane it.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Cobra Owner

That poplar will turn a nice brown colour, even if it is green coloured to begin with. Might take a year or so to completely change.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 02-26-2016, 12:42 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Made something with it, unfortunately the purple veining doesn't seem to run very deep, I am disappointed.
This one was a beast to clean up too, poplar usually isn't that bad, maybe its a grain issue.

For nostalgia, I found a pic of my very first 3D carving. Dated 5/12/11, just used a chunk of pine with a bit way too big for models this small, I think it was just a regular endmill too.
Nonetheless I was thrilled at the time, I remember I tossed this into a firepit a couple years back, wish I didn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setsfg.jpg (91.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1220.jpg (89.3 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Xray; 02-26-2016 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:31 AM
CAMaster Sales

Nice work with that Poplar, I did a few cribbage boards out of it and they always come out clean and nice. I like how the wood does gain a nice brown color over time.
cody@camaster.com
www.camaster.com
Old 02-27-2016, 04:23 PM
CAMaster Owner

That looks awesome!
Performance Option
Aspire 9
Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

My eyes almost boggled out of my head last night, home depot now stocks walnut, and lots of it.
Maybe testing it in certain markets I am guessing, or maybe chain wide I don't know.
Had some really nice planks, but I went into instant sticker shock. Hard for me to compare their pricing as I am used to buying it either by the plank or board ft, this stuff is almost $10 a ft and only about 5" wide, so I generally feel that is 2-3x what I would pay.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:05 AM
CAMaster Stinger II Owner

I was a "Big Orange" store manager for several years and I can tell you that the board and trim aisle is one of the "big 4" highest margin areas in the store. Also includes the light bulb aisle, paint accessories, tile/flooring accessories and thin set.
Aspire 3.5
Halainc1@gmail.com