CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger III

Old 10-20-2018, 10:54 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fuji

Specs are 2.5 HP Ring Compressor - 154cfm, 5.1 in. Hg. 220v single phase.

I have a Stinger III. If I zone the table and use it for smaller parts, will it work?

ShopSabre sells something similar to it on their website but I don't know their specs. Low hours and it comes ready to work and had been used for laminating. They are asking $250 for it.

Thanks
Ron
Indexing Lathe
T-Slot Table

V-Carve Pro
Old 10-20-2018, 11:59 AM
Cobra Owner

Hard to tell without looking at the vacuum chart. 5.1"hg is a very small number if that is the vacuum it pulls at 0cfm. If that is the vacuum it pulls at 154cfm, then that is a very good number!

In a closed system (0cfm), if it is only pulling 5.1"hg, then that will drop drastically as you get leakage (which you will from a spoil board application). That is about the equivalent to 2.5psi, so a 10" x 10" piece will have 250lbs of force from the atmosphere pushing down on it. Is that enough?

I like to have around 15"hg in my vacuum jigs. On my spoil board, I like to be over 8"hg. Of course, the larger your work pieces are, the less vacuum you need. A 24" x 24" piece would have 1440lbs of pressure on it at 5.1"hg.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 10-20-2018, 12:15 PM
CAMaster Owner

These are the specs on the hurricane.

Power requirements: 1 PH 220-230V @30 Amps
Unit Size: 35"W x 17.5"D x 17.5"H
Approximate CFMs: 400
Approximate inHg: 9.5

It is adequate for a 4x8 table.

That smaller vac could do a part of the table or fixtures.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 10-20-2018, 12:40 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real JP View Post
These are the specs on the hurricane.

Power requirements: 1 PH 220-230V @30 Amps
Unit Size: 35"W x 17.5"D x 17.5"H
Approximate CFMs: 400
Approximate inHg: 9.5

It is adequate for a 4x8 table.

That smaller vac could do a part of the table or fixtures.
According to Paul Harrison at BlackBox the specs for each of the 4 motors in the Hurricane are app. 552.9 air watts with a maximum air flow at 110.3 cfm and max sealed vacuum at 10.66 inHg.
Indexing Lathe
T-Slot Table

V-Carve Pro
Old 10-20-2018, 01:06 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford View Post
Hard to tell without looking at the vacuum chart. 5.1"hg is a very small number if that is the vacuum it pulls at 0cfm. If that is the vacuum it pulls at 154cfm, then that is a very good number!
If you have time to check the data for model VFC504P-2t are located on pages 18 and 19. http://edge.rit.edu/edge/P07442/publ...0Ring%20Blower

Thanks
Indexing Lathe
T-Slot Table

V-Carve Pro
Old 10-20-2018, 03:08 PM
CAMhead Legend

Don't bother with anything that pulls less than 7 or 8 Hg" (1/2 Atmosphere) & less than 200 CFM. That puts you in the 5hp+ range for a pump. Familiarize yourself with the numbers and what they mean so you can do an apples to apples comparison.

The Hurricane or whatever was designed as a band-aid so you can have vacuum long enough to save for a real vacuum pump. This was the intention for these systems from the beginning.

Not everyone has 3ph so your pump options are going to be limited, unless you use a converter. If you run with a vacuum cleaner based system like the Hurricane, they burn up and wear out - even with cooling circuits and other checks/balances in the system.

A real vacuum pump in a production environment is worth every penny & if maintained properly, it will last many years.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:50 AM
CAMaster Owner

Do you think that one (or more) 5hp 3 phase regenerative blower, 230 cfm, 112" WC would work? I would replace the motor with single phase.
Indexing Lathe
T-Slot Table

V-Carve Pro
Old 10-22-2018, 09:08 AM
CAMaster Owner

Here is an decent read on vacuum tables or fixtures.
https://www.cnccookbook.com/router-v...table-cnc-diy/

I'm running the hurricane for now. It's loud, it's hot and it is just barely adequate for a 4x8 table from what I can tell. Table has 4 gated zones.
I sometimes have to use some tape on the edges of a full sheet to the spoilboard to get it to suck down.

If I am running partial sheets that don't fit nicely in the zones I have to cover the rest of my spoilboard with something. I keep a large heavy duty contractor trash bag under the table for this. Covers lots of area and stops vacuum leaks. Throw it back under the table when done.

I am not in a production environment so I have the time to mess around with things that would make a serious cnc shop just get better gear.

Someday I will get a couple of actual vacuum pumps plumbed in and put outside away from my ears. Until that day I live with what I could afford when buying my first setup and not knowing better on some things.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 10-22-2018, 08:09 PM
Cobra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
If you have time to check the data for model VFC504P-2t are located on pages 18 and 19. http://edge.rit.edu/edge/P07442/publ...0Ring%20Blower

Thanks
You can see that the highest vacuum you can achieve (at the lowest airflow) is only 75 inches of water, or just over 5"hg. And it drops dramatically as the leakage increases, to where it is nearly 0"hg at the maximum flow of 160cfm. Hard to say how much leakage your spoil board system will have, but I'd probably expect you to be getting less than 3"hg. Not much holding power. You'd do much better with the hurricane system that Joey sells.

But if you are doing any sort of production, follow Brady's advice.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 10-23-2018, 04:39 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default CFM vs ACFM vs SCFM

Most here talk in cfm, but all the quotes I am getting back are all in ACFM or SCFM. How do I compare apples to apples on these?

Example: 5Hp single phase 220v oil lubricated rotary vane pump running at 21Hg of vacuum with a flow rate of 61 ACFM or 18 SCFM.

Thanks
Indexing Lathe
T-Slot Table

V-Carve Pro