CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Materials we Need !!

Old 07-27-2020, 05:02 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default How to get a durable, clear finish like Colorfin?

Hi all,

I am looking to make some furniture with dyed baltic faces like ColorFin, but I can't seem to get any of that material delivered to me cost-effectively since they are up north. So I tried to make my own and got very close (see attached)

It's smooth and looks great BUT if I dig in with a fingernail it leaves a permanent scratch, something I am unable to do with ColorFin.

To achieve this first test finish, I simply dyed water-based Varathane with powered pigment to get the color I wanted and then covered with 5 coats of un-dyed Varathane. Everything was sprayed with HVLP.

So my question is - how can I get a super hard finish that won't scratch?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Jul 27, 3 55 20 PM.jpg (91.9 KB, 25 views)

2013 Cobra 510 w/ ATC
Old 07-27-2020, 05:12 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

You need to use a more durable clear coat than the Varathane retail product. General Finishes and Target Coatings have products that may be able to help you and you can use the same dye technique with them as with your current product.

I generally use Target Coatings products. The most durable of their line includes the EM8000cv conversion varnishes and the EM9300 polyester. Both can be augmented with a crosslinker additive that increased both chemical and physical durability. That additive can also be used with the EM6000 and EM7000HB waterborne lacquers. EM8000HB and EM9300 may have a very slight ambering so an adjustment to your dye might be require to hit the shade. EM9300 is also UV protective and rated for exterior as well as interior use. Order direct from Target (get on their mailing list for the discount codes)

General Finishes has some higher end products with polyurethane resin that are also quite durable. General Finishes products are available at Woodcraft as well as on Amazon and in some retailers...check their site for dealers.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 07-29-2020, 03:14 AM
CAMaster Owner

I use General Finishes stuff a lot, also Sherwin Williams. HDL is where I buy the GF products.

Automotive finishes are probably the toughest thing, but really expensive. I was looking at 2K clears and went right back to GF.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 07-29-2020, 09:14 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Yea, and the 2K clears require a whole bunch of safety precautions that many small shops are not equipped to deal with which means spraying outside.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com