CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 07-05-2018, 06:31 PM
CAMaster Owner

For the machine table (plenum), it's the edges and the bottom that must be sealed to "keep the vacuum in" so it only flows via the spoilboard on top. So if replacing the factory table, which happens to be an MDF plenum it seems in this case, with new MDF, rather than something impervious to air flow, the bottom has to be sealed before it's screwed down to the frame.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 07-05-2018, 09:59 PM
CAMaster Owner

How does it hold down with the vac? Are parts moving?

This may be one of those don't fix what isn't broken things.

Just surface .005-.010 off the top and check the spindle. All you need to tram it is a simple z shaped piece of tubing or rod that will chuck into your collet.

https://youtu.be/D6pfIoyhgTc

It doesn't matter what the plenum edge looks like, it looks sealed to me from the pic. You can simply paint mdf to seal it. Paint the sides of the spoilboard though.

When I bought my machine after asking many questions...
I surfaced my plenum just enough to get the paint off all the high parts and then took .020 off sheet of mdf and glued it down to the plenum with the vacuum on. Then I sealed ( painted ) the edges of my new spoilboard and surfaced it and trammed my spindle. A spoilboard should last you quite a while as long as you don't have an accident and ruin it.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik

Last edited by The real JP; 07-05-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:09 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Plenum

Thanks for all the great responses. I will pull the spoil board off today and check the plenum to see what we are dealing with. I think at this point, I will see if additional hold downs could help and if not, simply resurface the plenum and then mount the new spoil board following the skimming and surfacing methods.
I may decide a new plenum is in my future but we will give this one a go first.

Thanks again and get ready for the "new user start-up " questions.