CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Cobra CNC Routers

Old 05-26-2019, 02:26 PM
CAMaster Owner

I am happy and SUPER elated to report SUCCESS today in getting my machine up and running on single phase. I had a much more knowledgeable electrician helping out today. Took less than an hour for him to survey the control box and wire the machine to the 'temporary' breaker box.

Surprisingly, he did not need to rewire/reroute anything in the control box. He just figured out which wire to not connect in the breaker box. Nothing in the control box needed to be rerouted for the single phase supply at all.

So, for now, l am up and running, albeit at derated power on my original 5hp spindle. After I get caught up on work backlog from the move and delay in getting power....and after I get the full intended 300A service hooked up by the power company...I will look further into swapping in a 10hp VFD.

Thanks to Jim McGrew for fielding my call and telling me straight up that I needed to post on the board for this issue as it was outside his realm of expertise (lucky son of a gun and his 408 power =P).

Especially BIG thanks to Gary Campbell and Ken Rychlik for chiming in with the real knowledge and actual experience to give me the courage and guidance needed to go this route.

You guys saved me a TON of money on a phase converter I didn't even really need.

10hp phase converter - $1200
10hp VFD - $400-$600
Skilled retired electrician thats been around the block and knows his stuff - $20.00
Getting up and running on single phase, on a 60A breaker box when most of the 'pros' said it couldn't be done........PRICELESS!!

Big yellow hasn't let me down yet...and this community makes it just that much more valuable. In all likelihood, I will be adding a 2nd CNC to my operation by the end of the year and it'd be damn near impossible to convince me to go with any other machine aside from Camaster.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:45 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

You are Welcome !

Remember, We got BIG Plans for you round here

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 05-26-2019, 09:27 PM
CAMaster Owner

Glad to see it's running for you. Gary still answers a question or two here and there for me, so I give him most of the credit. I just know from the ones I have worked on that that the phase converter was overkill. I do understand camaster not wanting to have people poking around in the control box.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:20 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Ken, You have become a really good CAMhead and an asset here.

I am Greatful !

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 05-27-2019, 02:45 PM
Banned

Default Question for Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
Completely wrong. You need to use the VFD (that feeds the spindle motor) as the highest draw. In your case, (5 hp on single phase) a 10hp VFD would require 34 amps input current. Add this to the power supply and the smaller incidentals and you get close to 50 amps, when inductive loads (motors, power supply transformers) are involved its always a good idea to upsize to accommodate startup loads

Gary - Isn't it the startup load of a motor what drives the "indicated" amp rating on the plate (rather than the "cruising" load)? It seems that this would be "baked into" the amp rating for the VFD as well. I sure HOPE my 3 HP dust collector motor isn't drawing over 18 amps ALL the time.

Not challenging your expertise here, just trying to get "edu-ma-cated"
Old 05-27-2019, 04:49 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

All motor mfgrs rate their motors differently. FLA = Full Load Amps, which is self explanatory. Starting current can be 150-200% of that.

If you need to know what your dust collector draws, put an ammeter on it. Current draw or even startup will seldom match number plate. That said, the numbers are for circuit design.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"