CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > New Forum Members

Old 03-12-2019, 01:07 PM
CAMaster Owner, (MOD, KOTR)

Yes, I also use the manual digitizing tool in WINCNC for my frames..
Comes in very handy.
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame 2.jpg (16.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg frame 3.jpg (84.1 KB, 35 views)

3-D Modeling
https://carveddetails.com

mm@mezalick.com
Old 03-12-2019, 07:17 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eph210 View Post
WinCNC has a built in digitizing function. I use the manual digitize and walk around the item using the positioning laser to follow the shape. I have done over 130 natural edge boards this way, laying out several internal shapes to fit the board.
The output is a DXF file that you import into V-Carve. After a few times it gets very quick.
I had no idea this feature was available! Can you expound a little on the "process?"
Thanks for the education!
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 03-12-2019, 07:49 PM
Camaster Owner

I start by flattening the board using a drum sander. I draw the desired shapes on the board and a designated X0Y0 (I use X0Y0 at the centre). Then I mount the board on the CNC in the position that it will be machined. It can be any angle or position on the table.
Turn on the positioning laser and walk it over to the designated X0Y0 and click on Set X0Y0 (not the laser offset X0Y0). Start the digitizing function. Move the laser to the first point and press CTRL J. The digitizing function only has lines, arcs and jumps so I will have pre-marked the end points of the arcs around the contour. Move to any point on the arc and press CTRL A then move to the end of the arc and press CTRL A. I prefer to close the shape in Aspire so when I have come back to the start point I jump to the next shape and repeat the process. CTRL W ends the function and stores the DXF.
Here's the slick part (thanks to Luke), press go to X0Y0 and now press Laser offset X0Y0. Import the DXF into Aspire. I then close the shapes and convert to Beziers, and adjust anything that looks odd. Now you have your vectors for whatever you are doing and you are already in the right position to cut it.
Wincnc vcarvepro
Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thumbs up

I cant wait to try this out...thanks, Euan.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 03-13-2019, 11:24 AM
Cobra Owner

Here's a video that shows how to use Fusion 360 to reverse engineer an object from a photo - maybe you could take pictures and use this technique to derive a vector drawing or export as a .stl file for 3D model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUiIAb1YqeM

Might be worth a try if you can't put the part on your router table.

By the way, what equipment do you have and where are you located in Florida? - I'm in the Naples area.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:51 PM
CAMhead Legend

Same idea/method can be done in Aspire & possibly VCP if you don't need the 3D filet, etc (using the grip example here).

Be careful digitizing from photos...it isn't accurate, even with a good camera. You need to take photos properly with a calibrated lens on a DSLR for reliable, accurate-ish results - using a tripod, with the camera on the correct angle. If digitizing 2D or 3D with only a camera (or cell phone) was 'all that' - I'd sell all my pricey digitizing arms and lasers and find something else to do...

It was mentioned that probing on the CNC was slow...when you don't have the means to digitize any other way, who cares? 3D digitizing is slow. 2D perimeter/outline digitizing only takes a few minutes (even on a large panel) and you can import the result into your favorite CAD program (as a DXF) and clean it up as required. There isn't a more accurate/faster/cheaper method of 2D digitizing than using the digitizing probe on your CNC.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Cobra Owner

Yep, if you digitize from a picture taken with a fish-eye lens you're probably gonna have a problem.

The guy in the video claimed that he was able to get .004 accuracy using this technique.

If he's not mistaken and you try to do it right (Shoot from directly above and maybe use dlsr with a 55mm lens so its fairly accurate across the film plane) you might be able to get decent results.

it may be worth the effort since it is tough to get a boat or an airplane on your router table for digitization.

That being said, it will require some effort to be accurate and the distance from lens to object may cause problems depending on the object size.