CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Work we Produce !!!!

Old 10-26-2019, 05:56 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Default Spalted maple 3D project

Don't often use woods like this for 3D, they usually wind up looking a bit too busy and distracted. The striking grain patterns dominate the model, and even hide it sometimes. I calculated this one wouldn't be too bad and I do love spalt, so I took a chance and it paid off. Doing 3D with spalt is really a matter of luck. You can have a peice with fantastic spalt on the surface, but cut down .25 or .3 and you may wind up with little or nothing, and vice versa. The edges to give you clues though, and I saw that cutting on one side would be better than the other, but theres no real way that I know of to tell exactly what you'll end up with.

I am pleased with this result, spalt looks great but not over powering. Kinda tough to coat, I have 3 coats of matte clear coat on this, sanding in between coats, and some areas almost look like it has no coat, others just the opposite. Also not the best cutting wood out there, turned out a bit rougher than I'm used to with, say, walnut, purpleheart or yellowheart.
I set the base height a tad too high, don't know if the pic shows it but there area areas that the bit couldn't quite sculpt correctly and it left a ridge. Silly error, not real reason to increase the base height, I wanted it to pop a bit more but this can be achieved in other ways. The lettering turned out weak, since they are so small I didn't want to vcarve so I used an engraving bit with a pocket projected on 3D. Turned out ok but I should have went a bit deeper. Even deeper they wouldn't be all that visible, I might just trace them in maybe a light brown color then give it one last coat of clear coat and call it good [done].

This took around 6 hours using a 1/32 tapered ball nose with 14% stepover, also used a roughing pass as this "standing proud" model cut pretty deep [slab was .9 thick], and of course time for the lettering as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4486.jpg (96.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4487.jpg (96.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4489.jpg (97.6 KB, 101 views)

Stinger 1
Old 10-26-2019, 09:38 PM
CAMaster Owner

That was the perfect material choice for that particular project!!!! Nice!!

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-26-2019, 11:00 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Spalt like this is precious, not often that I can find a slab like this, so I tend to hoard it until something really special comes to mind.

Stinger 1
Old 10-27-2019, 01:07 AM
CAMhead Legend

Fits the project nicely. Good job
Old 10-29-2019, 04:35 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Hoarding Spalted Maple

I have hung on to about 150-200 board feet of Spalted Maple for about 25 years...a couple of pieces are 20+" wide - old sugar maple with tap holes still in them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
Spalt like this is precious, not often that I can find a slab like this, so I tend to hoard it until something really special comes to mind.
Performance Option
Aspire 9