CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2011, 04:27 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default what's the appropriate software?

hi guys. i'm looking forward to a future cobra purchase for producing gun stocks, so this is a 4 axis 3d operation.
i have mild computer literacy and would like to use this time to get familiar with the software. what software will be involved, and what's the best way to get up to speed?
thanks. charlie
Old 09-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

go to vectric.com and download either vcarvepro or aspire,, same program yet aspire has 3d modeling. do not try 3d yet, learn the basices of how to create a vectro and machine it,, we will help you, i can show you online.

the download of the demo is the entire program, you can learn it before you buy it, so just download the demo and start watching the training movies, look under suipport they have a forum like this one.

worth every minute of it!

jim

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 09-17-2011, 06:34 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
go to vectric.com and download either vcarvepro or aspire,, same program yet aspire has 3d modeling. do not try 3d yet, learn the basices of how to create a vectro and machine it,, we will help you, i can show you online.

the download of the demo is the entire program, you can learn it before you buy it, so just download the demo and start watching the training movies, look under suipport they have a forum like this one.

worth every minute of it!

jim
thanks jim i will do that. maybe it will run on my mac mini and maybe it's time to get a PC. it looks like fun. anyhow have to start somewhere. thanks.. charlie
Old 09-17-2011, 10:45 PM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

I agree with Jim, download the software (Aspire) see if it meets your requirements.
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Cobra Owner

I could use a nudge here...

I thought Aspire was for generating G-Code from CAD software and that you had to do the work in another CAD software (I'm thinking Rhino here), importing it into Aspire, and then out to G-code for the machine.

Am I wrong about that, and that the ONLY product needed for creating designs and then outputting G-code is Aspire?

I've got lots of time using AutoCad in 2D because I never needed 3D until now (a likely Cobra buyer in the next couple of months), and I'd like to get setup for 3D drawing now and start running some designs.
My thought was to get Rhino3D and then Aspire when I get the machine, but from the posts above, it appears that Aspire is all I'll need.
Is that right?

TIA
Old 02-08-2012, 10:30 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Meyer View Post
I could use a nudge here...

I've got lots of time using AutoCad in 2D because I never needed 3D until now (a likely Cobra buyer in the next couple of months), and I'd like to get setup for 3D drawing now and start running some designs.
My thought was to get Rhino3D and then Aspire when I get the machine, but from the posts above, it appears that Aspire is all I'll need.
Is that right?

TIA
You are correct.You really don't need Anything Other than Aspire.
In my opinion I would not get Rhino yet($$). I use Auto Cad's 2 -D program Autosketch(which is about the same as Auto cad 2D) to do basic shapes that a made to an exact size, then I import them in a DXF file to Aspire. And depending on what I am making I don't use my 2-D program at all for some jobs. The Aspire free trial software and tutorials is what you want to focus on.
Corel X4 Autosketch 9 Aspire 4

"The economy is not as bad as we are led to believe. Many merchants report this year's going-out-of-business sales are much better than last year."
Old 02-08-2012, 11:18 AM
CAMaster Owner, (MOD, KOTR)

Aspire is really a 2.5-D program with the ability to create tool paths for a 4th axis ( rotary )
While it is possible to do full 3-D in Aspire it is much simpler to use another program.
If you are looking for real 3-D programs look into;
http://www.daz3d.com/
This month they are offering the following for free.
DAZ Studio Pro was $429.95 / Now FREE
Bryce 7 Pro was $249.95 / Now FREE
Hexagon 2.5 was $149.95 / Now FREE

3-D Modeling
https://carveddetails.com

mm@mezalick.com
Old 02-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Cobra Owner

A thank you to both Robert and Michael...

But now I'm torn another way because I will most certainly be using the Recoil for some of the things I'll be producing.
So if Aspire is not perhaps the best CAD for 4D, should I still be looking at Rhino anyway?... and does Rhino generate G-code for machine use?

And Michael, are you suggesting the daz3d because of it's cost primarily, or is it as capable or more so for 4D modeling than Aspire and/or Rhino might be?

It would be great to go with a "one stop" CAD solution if I can.
I have been using AutoCadR14 for a very long time and never saw the need to upgrade because it still does everything I need in 2D.
But 3D/4D is going to be a new learning curve for me and immersing myself in just one piece of software would be an efficient way to do things if possible.

My company currently produces linear products (molding operation) and I want to expand my capabilities with the Cobra, so money is not a "huge" issue since I need efficiency of operation more than upfront cost savings.
So I'll go whichever way is best, although at the same time, I know better than to just throw money at things and expect a good outcome, so pricing is an issue, just not the biggest issue.

Last edited by Mark Meyer; 02-08-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM
CAMaster Owner, (MOD, KOTR)

Mark,
Each program has it's Benefits to the user.
I know a little about Rhino and , for me, I was a bit difficult.
I know several other suse it but I have also heard some problems with it.
I have since worked with Sculptris ( free ) ZBrush ( Thanks to Chris ) and have settled on using MODO for the 3-D work.
Hexagon, from daz3d is a simpler version of what MODO is like.
As always, try the trial versions before you buy and find what's comfortable with you.
Best,
Michael

3-D Modeling
https://carveddetails.com

mm@mezalick.com
Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 PM
CAMhead Friend

Aspire is a good 2.5D software but you really should look into Visual mill 6 = (Rhinocam) or try a look at Deskproto. Most will give you a trial software to try out