CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Administrator

like Eric said 2 different animals. If you want to wrap stl's then aspire is great and easy to use. If you want to go full 4th axis (where x,y,z, & a move at the same time) then rhino is the better bet. All depends on how in depth you need or want to go.

this is a real good post a lot of good questions.

US Router Tools
888-720-TOOL (8665)
www.usroutertools.com
Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 AM
CAMaster Owner

Mark and OP,
The skull stool colume was done in Aspire. A 3d STL file imported in, unwrapped and positioned 3 times. It works very well but you can't get the undercuts

I do wish Vectric would pursue making the rotary function a true 4th axis operation instead of just unwrapping.

If they would I would have no problem giving up another grand for that functionality.

I offten look at Rhinocam and think of getting it just to have the true 4th axis cutting ability. I feel like I can't get the full potential from my rotary.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg =_utf-8_B_SU1HMstool.jpg (67.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Cobra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandico View Post
Mark and OP,
The skull stool colume was done in Aspire. A 3d STL file imported in, unwrapped and positioned 3 times. It works very well but you can't get the undercuts

I do wish Vectric would pursue making the rotary function a true 4th axis operation instead of just unwrapping.

If they would I would have no problem giving up another grand for that functionality.

I offten look at Rhinocam and think of getting it just to have the true 4th axis cutting ability. I feel like I can't get the full potential from my rotary.....
You see, that right there has me looking again at Rhino.
It seems that Aspire does allow you a "work around", but it can't really take advantage of the Recoil like a true 4th-axis software can.

I do see that Aspire is probably good for the typical architectural miller, and that's a lot of what I'll be doing with mine. But I'd rather just spend once for Rhino and get it over with because I hate to get started on a project and then bump up against a wall when I start pushing the envelope of design.

Thanks guys, but further contributions are invited in this thread because, as Joey said, it's a topic that probably deserves some more wringing out in order to help others better choose which way they want to go.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

i would advise in your case to go rhino, i am an aspire fan, it is what i have used for all i do yet i have thought often of purchasing rhino you may lead the way, i will be looking to learn as you progress with this, i use several softwars for different reasons, cabnetware is a good basic shop drawing program cabinetvision is far more progressed in several ways yet the curve of use is a bear, i have both

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 02-10-2012, 03:59 PM
CAMaster Owner

Mark, I have used Rhino for about 10 years, and if you ever have a question on how to design a part or machine a part, just ask here.. there's a few of us who can probably point you in the right direction. I know most everything about Rhinocam Basic (never used the 4th axis add-on). Just so you know, Mecsoft is releasing Rhinocam 2012 very soon.. I think within the month.